What are you eating?

Pagosa Springs is my backup plan.

2 Likes

Awesome. Which Turley?

My favorite breakfast place in Santa Fe is, Horseman’s Haven Cafe.

2 Likes

There’s the awesome “Rail Runner” train service that runs between Albuquerque and Santa Fe with multiple stops. No need to live right in Santa Fe to enjoy its offerings. The train drops you right off in the Railyards district (obviously).

Also, property tax is 0.68%, not 3% - 5% like it is in the Houston area. Also, NM doesn’t tax Social Security unlike, say, Colorado.

Not that there would be any reason I should know this, but this is pretty damn cool.

1 Like

Yup. You don’t need to live in SF or AQ. You just need to live within e-bike (or Uber) range of the train station. You know, like how everywhere else in the world does it.

You can even take the train the AQ’s airport.

One was the Ueberroth zin. I don’t remember the other.

True, but the point of living in Santa Fe would be…well, living in Santa Fe. I want to get up and take a walk to coffee on the Plaza, not Uber to a train then walk from the train station. I plan on winning the Powerball, however, it’s probably a moot point.

2 Likes

Don’t fall for it.

He was just trying to push that ebike off on someone so he can buy a superduty truck.

1 Like

Restaurants probably aren’t as good, but the fishing is better.

Crisp, with notes of collusion.

3 Likes

Nice, oldest vineyard Turley works with (planted 1885). Crazy to think it was already sixty some odd years old when Peter bought it in the 1960’s.

Green chile pork stew. Alamos Malbec. We’ll see where that gets me.

A like alamos Malbec. It’s about $9 a bottle, and it’s good.

I figure gallo must use child labor to crush the grapes.

1 Like

It’s considerably more here at the bar at La Posada de Santa Fe. But they had a free tasting, and it was pretty good. Goes well with the green chile stew. Not sure what’s the next drink is.

It’s a very good wine. I buy it all the time, and would like it at many times the price. At Spec’s it’s a bargain.

1 Like

Stop. Please, for the love of God, stop.

You’re not a fan, but on the flip side telling one of us to stop is like waving a red cape. Here’s what I’d say, and then I’ll stop.

Here are the bad things to say about Alamos Malbec. It is a Gallo product. Gallo makes 3% of the world’s supply of wine, and it makes some good wines, but this is a cheap Gallo product. It will be made from the cheapest grapes, in the most soulless, corporate way. It will not be a very complex wine. It will not develop in the bottle. It won’t feel rich, it won’t be spicy, it won’t have a lot of flavor.

Here’s what’s good about it. It’s cheap. Ridiculously cheap for wine. If Mike S made an $8 bottle of wine, he’d lose $30 per bottle. How do they do it? Presumably cheap grapes–it certainly has more to do with what’s trucked from the leavings of vineyards than vineyards–and industrialized production. And use of child labor to crush the grapes. But for most of us a bit of cheapness in wines is not unwelcome.

There’s nothing off about it. It doesn’t taste musky, or too tannic, or sweet.

It’s consistent from bottle to bottle and year to year, I guess this goes to complexity, but if over five years I buy 12 bottles, I won’t know the difference between bottle 1 and 12. This may not always be a virtue, but sometimes it is.

It tastes like a red wine. I started drinking it in Argentina, and if you were served that wine as a house wine in a carafe in an Argentinian cafe you’d be thrilled. There are some great Malbecs, and this is not a great Malbec. But it is a Malbec, mostly. If I bought a bottle at $18, or even $25 I wouldn’t be disappointed, and it compares ok with other low price Malbecs I buy. It tastes red, and not the red of the bottle of Boone’s Farm rolling around under the front seat of my cutlass. It’s dry and tastes some like berries without tasting wildly of fruit. If HH drinks a glass in Santa Fe with green chili pork stew, he can remember it fondly. If Kris and I decide during a long ballgame to open a second bottle of wine, or if on a Tuesday night we come home late and want a quick glass of wine with some pasta and garlic, it’s pretty good. It’s good enough.

I buy a lot of wine between $18 and $30, and a few bottles a year at $30-$50, and a very very few at more than that (not counting restaurants where you double or triple the price of the bottle). My guess is that for most of us $8 is a real find. A lot of times I’ll justify the more expensive bottles by throwing in some Alamos Malbec. If others here drank it, I think they’d be pleased, maybe mostly by the price but pleased natheless.

'Nuff said, I’m done.

4 Likes

Does it come in a box?

1 Like

unfortunately no. I found the worst thing about box wines was that I’d drink through the box without stopping. Powers winery in Washington used to make a pretty good boxed wine, but I think they stopped.

ETA: I guess they still do. Or maybe not. That’s out of stock.