What are you eating?

Any of yall tried the non-original (green, garlic, etc) versions of Cholula?

My name is Frank Bartles and he’s Ed James and we approve of this message.

1 Like

Great suggestion. Didn’t have triscuit, but had some water crackers, and just about finished off the ginger pepper sauce at lunch. It’s also a great way to figure out how a hot sauce actually tastes.

The ginger pepper sauce by the way is hot like ginger, not peppers. It would be good for Chinese dumplings, but not as a pepper sauce.

Wild Irish Rose is a superior product. #iykyk

1 Like

I like the green version in addition to the original.

Since it’s green it counts as a vegetable.

2 Likes

“Purple is a fruit” – Homer Simpson

1 Like

Tapatío is always solid and what the guys use at the winery every day. I’m far more partial to Chalula, though.

My old cellar master introduced me to Yucateco years ago. I love it, even if it makes my bald spot sweat profusely.

2 Likes

I always have a bottle rolling around under the front seat of my Cutlass.

1 Like

That is why I like to go with MD 20/20 and their flat bottles.

3 Likes

Outstanding solution. I usually just take any round bottle I have that might want to misbehave and wedge in between the back of the passenger seat and the carton of cigarettes that’s always sitting there.

1 Like

I always keep a bottle of the hottest version of Valentina around plus the Yucateca green.

I got to try Buckfast for the first time in the UK last year and I’m still blind.

2 Likes

I thought Buckfast made you Scots?

By the way, I just found another bottle of hot sauce in the garage refrigerator.

It helps the Scots get pished.

Asian hot oils are one of the convincing proofs that there is indeed a God and that he loves us.

1 Like

The chipotle version of Cholula is all over Casa de Shive because the girls love it. It’s absolutely disgusting. Happily, they stay away from my 10 other bottles of various hot sauces.

A guilty pleasure of mine is wandering around tourist trap food stores, giggling at the names of hot sauces. I remember distinctly one in a store in Fredericksburg that was called “Red Rectum”. The graphic on the label was as blunt as the name.

2 Likes

So I’m still working through Robb Walsh’s Tex-Mex Cookbook. I’m maybe 30 recipes in, not going sequentially but jumping around, and the only bad recipes were the fritoque, which is a kind of pinto bean casserole, and the Ninfa’s green sauce. All the Ninfa’s recipes on the internet call for tomatillos and green tomatoes. Walsh’s doesn’t. It really needs the green tomatoes.

Other than the Ninfa’s green, the sauce recipes have been consistently great.

There are two things that scare me, home-made taco shells and tamales. I’m sure that once I do them they’ll be fine, but the process reads difficult.

Last night I made the chili mac, which has more to do with Skyline Chili and 60s Tex-Mex restaurants than anything that might appear on a modern Tex-Mex menu. Walsh’s recipe was provided by the Texas Beef Council, and included 1 lb ground beef, a can of tomato paste, and 3/4 cup elbow macaroni. It also had a can of rotel, so it wasn’t completely barbaric.

Kris was horrified, but honestly it wasn’t bad. It was cheap, fast, used one pot, and you could see how it could be a mainstay in a 60s family kitchen. It was sweetish, and more akin to a pasta sauce than chili, but Kris didn’t divorce me (though I thought she was about to threaten–the recipe disgusted her). I’d at least double the macaroni if I made it again, but I promise never to make it again.

Like I said though, it was pretty good.

2 Likes

Cue HH to come in and tell you that’s not chili, it’s a station wagon.

5 Likes

You can avoid all the drama by calling it chilimac. That’s a whole new word that is sure to be less triggering.