What are you eating?

Well hell, maybe I do have a reason to head up that way someday

btw: what kind of fish were you catching around there?

smallmouth, in a small stream a bit west and south of Indianapolis. Things were too dry, but the streams in the southwest corner are spring-fed out of of limestone formations like Kentucky bourbon country, so it’s pretty cool.

It actually fished exactly they way I’d fish a Hill Country river.

1 Like

lol, reading your first paragraph I’m thinking “this sounds a hell of a lot like Burnet/Blanco counties”

Smallmouth and Guadalupe’s (crappie are kind of boring, but they’re delicious) are so fun to catch on ultralight or fly gear. So are trout, I’m assuming you’ve done that here and there on the Guad River? White bass run should be happening soonish, also.

Columbus is a real nice place.

1 Like

I typically go a little further down the road and stop in Schulenburg

Crappie can be pretty fun on a fly rod, and they’re still delicious. I’ve given up on the Guadalupe, it’s just too crowded any more, and the only flies the trout take are fake eggs and midges. I used to fish the Blanco and the San Marcos a lot. I’ve fished other rivers, the Llano, the Pedernales, the upper Guad, but not consistently. I wish I knew the rivers better, but can’t seem to get around to it.

1 Like

I’ll have to look up the time of year we were there, on the Guad, at the Lazy L&L (I think) campground, iirc maybe early in May. They have piers out on the river, and we caught more trout than we could cook. Over 5 or so days we fed every campsite around.

My buddy’s gf and me:

Dinner:

3 Likes

Did someone mention wine?

For the surf portion of your meal, I’d recommend seared scallops or shrimp cocktail. To pair, go with Chenin blanc or Chablis. Even better, if you can find it, is Carricante, the native white grape of Mt. Etna.

Cabernet Sauvignon is the easy choice for the turf portion of your meal, but I’d tell you to go with Syrah or Petite sirah instead. Grenache and Nebbiolo are also great choices because of their tannins. ETA - Cabernet franc is another a wise decision.

1 Like

Last couple of times I had steak impaired it with a Petit Verdot. It seemed to go very well.

Tonight, Mrs Hawk and I will dining at The Chef’s Table, one of our favorite restaurants. We shall be having charred octopus among other things. I’m not sure what else. Or what wine, other than it will likely be an Anura from South Africa, because that’s Chef Paul’s deal. Their Chardonnay is quite good. So who knows. What would you recommend with octopus?

How’s the acorn chili?

Txakoli, the Basque white wine, is the best bet. If the list doesn’t have a lot of Spanish whites, or even any, look for something with good acid.

Sounds like South African wines are the heavy hitters. If there’s a Chenin, that would be a good option. Yarpie Chenin, even the relatively modestly priced ones, are generally decent wines.

Petit Verdot is one of the Bordeaux varieties, so certainly a great call with steak. It’s usually a blending component rather than a standalone wine. Really great aromatics and color.

1 Like

Brilliant! I knew you’d show up eventually with the info I wanted.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that none of us have ever asked what wine pairs best with Frito pie. Oddly, I was thinking maybe some nice crisp white, but it’s almost the start of baseball season, and it ought to be considered.

2 Likes

Thunderbird?

5 Likes

I’m not a Mets fan.

2 Likes

Happy to help!! Hope the surf and turf is outstanding.

1 Like

Steak and shrimp and mushrooms and spinach…I don’t think I can possibly screw this up

Also, out of curiosity (I finished off my bottle of Secret Aardvaark Habanero this morning) what types and flavors of hot sauce do you guys keep around?

The acorn chili is one of the few menu items I’ve never tried. Perhaps it’s because all my Florida hillbilly family ate acorns, along with sucking raw squirrel brains, and I’ve sort of resisted. But everything else on the menu is fantastic, so I should give it a go. At any rate…the charred octopus is on fucking point.

I’m a Crystal man. It’s what we always had on our devil crabs. Anything with habanero is good too.

1 Like