What are you eating?

It doesn’t matter whether you are “down” with the product, if you’re not following Beyond Meat on social media, you’re missing out on a unique brand of hilarious lunacy.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.52.48 AM

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.52.16 AM

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.53.44 AM

1 Like

I tried chicken fajitas again last night. As per Lefty, I butterflied the boneless skinless breasts. I also let them sit in the marinade most of the day, instead of the 4 hours per the recipe. As per HH, I made sure the grill was up to about 450.

I was careful to leave marinade on when I put them on the grill. It took them about 5 minutes to cook, and they didn’t dry out.

They were still tasteless, but acceptable tasteless.

Did you forget the onions?

Aren’t “chicken fajitas” akin to “vegetarian chili”?

1 Like

I’m thinking yes.

I did have grilled onions and bell peppers on the side. Don’t get me wrong, they were good, but they were still chicken fajitas.

Take it from a vegetarian who eschews meat in part because of factory farming: it’s not your cooking, it’s the meat.

Chicken isn’t tasteless; chicken under cellophane in a grocery store is.

4 Likes

I had an excellent carne asada at La Hacienda Ranch last night.

It included a cheese enchilada which is like dessert for me.

1 Like

I realized the other day that I didn’t grow up with grilled cheese sandwiches, but I did grow up with cheese enchiladas. I’m a lucky man.

1 Like

You are a hero to many, my good man.

Breast is the most tasteless part of the chicken. That is common knowledge. Farm raised chicken breasts are even more so. I still like them when grilled.

Mrs. MM insists on chicken breasts. Also on well done steak. They are lamentable qualities in a wonderful woman.

Mrs Hawk grew up with well done steak, and was reluctant to go rare when we got married. I have since shown her the light. She often comments she can’t believe she’d never taste a decent steak until she met me.

Kris’s mother moved in with us 13 years, and complained when she realized we eat chicken a lot of chicken thighs, but rarely eat chicken breasts. We ignored her.

She will often go back and cook her steak more. She refused to eat duck (which we eat pretty often), lamb, or oysters. She lives on well done steak, shrimp, chicken breasts, ground meat, and pizza.

She’s also 92, so maybe there’s something to be said for it.

3 Likes

What seafood should I pair with tonight’s steak?

Crab cakes, scallops, shrimp? Yall help a brother out.

Red snapper. Or oysters. Or amberjack.

Sorry I’m late, but could you get any oysters? Oysters and steak are a classic, straight from Delmanicos.

No oysters. The ones I’d want I’d have to have shipped in (or drive to Austin, which is also a dealbreaker)

Idea #2?

Shrimp cocktail. Another classic.

1 Like

Yep, crab cakes or shrimp cocktail is at the top of my list, I was just trolling for other ideas.

Speaking of shrimp cocktail, this place is somewhere I would go, not sure why I’d ever be in Indianapolis…it’s apparently the best and hottest one around

eta: yall hit me up with 3-5 wine recs (I’m sure I can find one or more of them around here) to go with surf & turf, I’ve got the before cocktails and after dinner dessert wine, but nothing to go with the actual meal.

A close friend from college moved to Indianapolis, and we had dinner last year when we went to Indiana to catch a fish. We went to the Bohemian sector, to a trendy place, but it’s a nice town, with lots of interesting stuff. I looked at St. Elmo, and an old fashioned German place that looked fun as well, and we had lunch at a great Jewish deli that as I recall had been around since the 30s. It’s not a baseball town, but other than that I liked it, and would go back.

About an hour south of Indianapolis is Columbus, where Cummings Diesel is located. It’s about 45000 people, but in the 50s the Cummings foundation started paying the cost of architecture for public buildings and churches, and it has some of the greatest architecture in North America. The county library, for instance, was designed by I.M. Pei. It is all fabulous. That would be a reason to go to Indianapolis, other than a fish of course. And soybeans. Lots of soybeans.

This is a Columbus church by Eero Saarinen:

NorthChristianChurch

7 Likes