What are you eating?

Yes, that’s the one. It’s been around for at least ten years.

Ah…I left Houston around 2008.

Other pizzas I remember from Houston: Fuzzy’s (all were good, the Barbara Bush Pizza was different and delicious: grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, spinach, other stuff); some Greek diner on W Gray or W Dallas had a gyro pizza that was awesome; Kennealy’s had their corned beef Irish pizza, and New York Pizzaria made a killer calzone.

The Houston pizza scene has come a long way. Tiny Champions, Nonno’s and Coltivare are great. Even my nephews from Brooklyn begrudgingly agreed that Luigi’s is “actually pretty good pizza.”

1 Like

I really like the broccoli garlic ricotta pizza at Nonno’s. For a plain ol’ pepperoni slice I like Romano’s.

According to the chef, dunk the crust from that pizza in the mussel broth. It’s really good!

2 Likes

Oh shit, wow.

Their lobster special is to die for.

Just say no. How about gyro chili?

Red sauce, mozzarella, onions, spinach, peppers, feta, gyro meat. It was delicious.

Kennealy’s Irish was:

Shamrock Special

~No Substitutions~

Mushrooms, Onions, Bell Peppers & Corned Beef

Around the turn of the century we lived in Ireland for 18 months and drove all over the country every time there was a long weekend and never once saw any pub, restaurant or grocery store that sold or served corned beef.

1 Like

I’ve corned a brisket a couple of times…you need friends to give some away to. And pepper the hell out of it, put it on the smoker, and turn it into pastrami.

1 Like

I think it’s better as pastrami.
Now I want pastrami.

1 Like

Pastrami on rye, the most sensual of the cured meats.

2 Likes

Best pastrami in Austin is at Pieous – was on 290 west but moved into the big center at Belterra (south side). They have good Neapolitan pizza, too, but I always get a simple white pie with a Caesar salad and a side of pastrami.

Now I am hungry, too.

ETA – Already ordered Thai from Dee Dee’s, though; on my way to pick that up, then home to enjoy it with a Mai Tai (or two).

1 Like

The larb and fried softshell crab po boy at Dai Due was wonderful…sourdough pancake for dessert. My brother had the pastrami, which was also wonderful.

I have had a pastrami sandwich from Pieous, and it was as delicious as you imply.

Anyone make their own barbecue sauce?

1 Like

I have. Honestly, I don’t use it much anymore v

I’ve done it, but it’s not been any better than stuff I can buy, and when I’m cooking I’ve usually got enough going on that I don’t need to add to the confusion by trying make something that’s not as good as what I can buy.

1 Like

First you make some sop for pork/chicken (no beef): vinegar/oil/beer/onion/lemon/garlic/peppers/spices, it sits in a saucepan on the pit while the meat cooks, basting as needed.

Later you strain out the solids and add some tomato (paste?, a bit) and whatever extra liquids are needed…and blend it all up. Extra spices and all things to taste.