What are you eating?

As it just so happens, I just received a pointer to this:

Which might be interesting, but I haven’t tried it yet and can’t vouch for it. I’ve done things similar to what Neil suggested with olives and preserved lemons, and that’s good. But not everybody has preserved lemons laying around their pantry.

1 Like

I know she doesn’t have olives, but I’ll file that away for next time

I’m worn out on asian chicken, and fried + mashed potatoes and gravy just sounds a little heavy

And there’s this, which I can vouch for:

The only non-standard-in-American-kitchens item is the Arborio rice, but it’s easy to obtain. Do NOT try to get away with using a typical long-grain rice.

yeah, they’re pretty ingredient specific recipes.

In a similar vein, chicken thighs in our house are frequently used in a pressure cooker chicken tikka masala recipe which is terrific and the leftovers improve each day in the fridge.

3 Likes

You may be on to something here, great idea

1 Like

If she has some garam masala and curry powder lying around, it’s a very easy recipe.

She does, mom keeps a well stocked pantry

She has a strange dislike of olives that I can’t explain

Do you have a pointer, or should I just unleash the Google?

1 Like
2 Likes

This looks like a reasonable facsimile of the recipe we use. But, I’m sure you can find other flourishes through googling.

First of all, I heartily second the other chicken thigh recipes already suggested. I would add the below, which we just made a week ago:

Don’t be afraid to up any of the ingredients. Also super great as leftovers.

1 Like

All these look gooder’n hell, I know the one I posted is, I make it all the time. But I saw an absurdly simple one the other day in the Failing New York Times that I tried to make last night but found we are committing the unpardonable sin of having no chicken thighs in the house. The chicken in this country fucking sucks, by the way. I don’t care how much you pay for it. I have never in my life returned protein to the supermarket because it is disgusting before I moved back to this place. Have I ranted about this before? Probably. If so, my insincere apologies.

Anyway, here’s the recipe. Salt the skin side, put the thighs skin side down on a cold, non-stick pan, turn the burner to medium, profit. That’s it. Some people say to flip them after half an hour or so, other people say that’s crazy. Some people prefer to use a cast iron skillet. It seems like that would get too hot and burn the skin before the thigh is cooked through. If you go that route I bet you will definitely want to flip them. The picture that accompanied the recipe looked amazing.

There we are:

1 Like

I will second the recommendation for the olives and lemon. Mrs. Hawk does a similar recipe and it’s fantastic.

Turns out they were thighs, and since neither of us had had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and greens in a while we did that. Will file away some of yall’s recipes for next time.

Unrelated, I saw that Austin’s Via 313 pizza is opening a Houston location. Detroit-style pizza may not be for everyone, but that place was great the 2 times I’ve been.

Also unrelated, TX Monthly just did their Best New Restaurants list. Houston has Katami, Josephine’s Gulf Coast, Elro Pizza + Crudo, Jūn, and Little’s Oyster Bar…Austin has Bureau de Poste, Ezov, and Bacalar.

I’ll co-sign the Via 313 rec.

Interesting; there’s a Via 313 up near me. I’ll have to give it a shot.

Also interesting (but not surprising being Detroit), the style of pizza was created using auto parts trays. History of Detroit-Style Pizza — Buddy's Pizza