What are you eating?

Not a salsa, but in the same vein, I’m a big fan of the HumbleHouse sauces that HDB sells in their salsa section. They come in a squeeze bottle about 8” tall, and they’re in a variety of flavors. My favorite is the habanero-aji amarillo (it has a green and white label): with habanero and aji amarillo peppers, papaya, and mango, it’s fruity and middle-of-the-road spicy, and it goes great on lots of things. I’ll put it on sandwiches, eggs, and anything that needs to be livened up a bit.

For a calibration point, I also enjoy the Mark’s salsas when jarred salsa is needed.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to try their stuff…thanks for the reminder. As far as that flavor being “great on a lot of things”, this is from their website:

TRY IT ON: Pork chops, mac and cheese, ice cream, fish tacos, ceviche, omelets, or even mix it in your margaritas.

That is indeed casting a wide net.

… ice cream?

1 Like

“Add to bag”

1 Like

I don’t know about ice cream, but definitely put it on mac and cheese.

1 Like

I’ve never tried any of it, but vanilla ice cream with spicy toppings (chili crisp, hot honey, mango/habanero…) is a thing now

The Ancho y Morita variety is my go to. It’s the perfect combo of smoky and just a little bite.

Yep, those are the ones. They have multiple levels of heat. I usually get the medium, and it’s pretty damn spicy.

I also have a bottle of Puya y Pasilla in my frig right now, which in addition to the two title peppers has some pineapple in it, so it’s like a bite of al pastor. Ancho y Morita is good, too. I think there’s a creamy jalapeño or something that I haven’t tried yet.

2 Likes

Not just now, I’ve been doing that for years. Spicy ice cream is fantastic. It’s up there with chiles with chocolate.

1 Like

APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOODSTUFFS

2 Likes

Yeah, those salsas are great (and you’re not lying: their medium means solidly hot, and their hot means…). Unless it’s garden season I buy that and their pico pretty constantly.

I’ll have to try the spicy ice cream sometime. I’m not a huge ice cream eater, outside of the occasional Ben and Jerry’s (Chubby Hubby may be the best store bought ice cream I’ve ever had) or vanilla a la mode on some fresh baked thing.

I’m cooking a lamb stew today, Irish style with Guinness. My first attempt with this kind of stew. I’m also adding an ear of corn and green beans to go along with the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, thyme, parsley, and pepper, but no peas.

Rosemary is always a good addition.

Now added.

1 Like

Throw in a sprig and take it out (or eat around it) when it’s done, like with bay leaves.

That sounds delicious, and is now on my future culinary radar.

1 Like

Speaking of, The Post food section is a treasure trove of great ideas. Has been for decades. They have collected some of their best recipes from over the years into a simple list of 30 items. If any of y’all are interested in trying something new, there’s a pretty broad portfolio of dishes represented here.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!! WaPo has one of the most underrated food sections. Their Eat Voraciously daily email is fantastic. Heaps of great ideas for easy weeknight dinners.

1 Like

Yes, this is good advice. NYT food section is great as well, and a whole bunch of their recipes are not behind a paywall.

1 Like

So it’s a beautiful 50-degree day here (which means it’s warmer outside than it is inside my house), and I’ve got some chicken on the grill for fajitas. Gonna do some peppers and onions on the flattop, some fresh HEB tortillas, and good margaritas with anejo tequila and fresh squeezed lime juice.