What are you eating?

Have you done the bottling day?

No, I’ve just done the “Sitting Around Drinking Day”. Which is pretty good

Oh…it’s an experience

This is like Interstellar BBQ, which is just a mile or so from my home. But I’ll be fucked if I’m going to stand in line with a bunch of hipsters for an hour for the opportunity to spend $35 on two brisket sandwiches.

It’s actually nothing like that.

Eggplant parmigiana and sweet Italian sausage.
Wine recommendations?

Perhaps a nice Amarone.

Sounds delicious!

Good Sangiovese or a Nebbiolo would be my rec. I think you’ll like how the tannins help cut through some of the richness of both dishes.

2 Likes

I would also recommend a negroamaro, which comes from Puglia, the “boot heel” of Italy. It’s middle of the road in tannin and acidity, but also has a nice richness that I think goes really well with hearty sauces and Italian sausage.

Very nice pull with the Negroamaro rec. I would also highly, highly recommend Nerello mascalese from the slopes of Mt. Etna in Sicily. The best producers like Terre Nere and Passopisciaro are like a cross between Piedmont (Nebbiolo) and Burgundy (Pinot noir).

ETA - speaking of Piedmont, Barbera and Dolcetto are excellent ideas as well. Softer tannins and moderate, but in the hands of the right producers are effing delicious. Borgogno’s Barbera in particular is one of my favorite wines to drink.

Chiles en Nogada at Fonda San Miguel. Ceviche; café de olla; coconut sorbet; and the best house margaritas in captivity.

4 Likes

How about a wine for black-eyed peas and green chile and pork tamales? Or just stick with the Shiner?

I’d go with whites - Burgundy, Loire Valley, South African Chenin, maybe Carricante. There are also a hell of a lot good examples from California of those varieties (excluding Carricante of which we only have one vineyard planted).

Lighter reds would also work, such as Cru Beaujolais or Cinsault.

That’s obviously a meal that demands champagne.

ETA: Happy New Years!

My wonderful brother gave me a dry aged New Zealand wagyu ribeye for my birthday, so I’ll be reverse searing that sucker tonight

1 Like

We’ve been going to the Airline Farmer’s Market so I can practice my Spanish, and yesterday we ate lunch at the new place, Comalito. Four of us ate for $80 with tip. It’s interior Mexico street food, and the big draw is that they cook and nixtamalize their corn for tortillas in-house. Really great, and I’d like to go back at night to try their margaritas.

I’ve been wanting to try this place. Do they only serve margaritas at night?

No, they would have served us margaritas, but we were there before noon.

I am eating the leftover au gratin potatoes from the back of the 'fridge from the Christmas Eve standing prime rib dinner. They should still be alright, right?