What are you eating?

We’ll know in a few hours.

4 Likes

What could go wrong?

1 Like

Open 11am-6pm daily. So only during the day actually.

I assumed they were open in the evening. Looks like happy hour.

Menu and pics look awesome. Will be in Houston soon, that needs to go on my list.

I used to go to that farmer’s market often, years ago. It has certainly changed from what I was seeing.

It has certainly been gentrified. But the Tacambaro taco truck is still there, dishing up the best tacos de mollejas in town.

1 Like

Good to know!. That’s a meat I always liked, then lived in Argentina and came to LOVE. You just don’t see it on too many menus.

One of my favorite Korean foods is a spicy beef brisket soup called “yukgaejang”. Usually I don’t have the patience to cook a lot of the Korean soups but found this Instant Pot recipe for yukgaejang that works quite well. Generally I make a big pot of the broth and then use it for different variations adding veggies or other types of meat or noodles. Traditionally it’s eaten with rice during the hottest part of the summer but winter works too.

Is there any reason why you couldn’t do that in a dutch oven or crock-pot? That sounds nice, something I’ve never made before.

Yeah you could use those too. I just have a big-ass Instant Pot that I use for a lot of stuff because it does most things surprisingly well.

1 Like

I had a horrible shock this morning. One of my New Year’s resolutions was to cook through Robb Walsh’s Tex Mex Cookbook, and I’ve been reading it. I made it to the chapter on American Cheese enchiladas, and he’s talking about the menus of a bunch of old Tex-Mex restaurants from the 30s. He starts talking about an item that was once common but has generally disappeared from Texas restaurant menus, but survives in Cincinnati–Chili with spaghetti. He says that it was one of those bicultural things that was very common on Texas Mexican food menus, and that (as of his writing) survives in a few places. He mentions Molinos. He said it first appeared in a recipe book printed by Mexene chile powder.

Stunning. Apparently in the 50s it became chili mac.

In the discussion of chile gravy which was a meatless sauce for things like enchiladas, he mentions that it was developed for Anglo tastes and was basically anglo brown gravy with cumin and chile powder. I made his version last night to go on the enchiladas, and it was great. Of course it starts with 1/4 cup lard.

3 Likes

Take that book outside and burn it.

I think it was you who said a while back that the dogma of Texas chili culture sounded like a relatively new thing that would have made no sense to earlier generations.

First, sounds like that was spot-on.

Second, sounds like the dogma emerged for very good reason.

3 Likes

Pretty sure you can still order this at Larry’s out in Richmond. Anything you get there arrives as a big plate of brown and orange.

Spaghetti Mexicano

1 Like

He mentions Larry’s as well.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it dogma. There is chili, which is one thing, and there is chili with other stuff, which is simply chili with other stuff.

5 Likes

Never had chili and noodles, but when I was a kid one of the go-to easy meals for my brother and I was chili and rice, which iirc was a thing my folks learned about from some friends who lived around Seguin.

I have tried to explain this to people for years, and it always falls on deaf ears.

I sometimes like to put beans into my chili. This does not mean that I “make my chili with beans”.

I’m not dead yet!

4 Likes

That’s for the best I think.

1 Like