What are you eating?

Made two pots today: one chili, one something people would yell at me for calling chili. The latter was vegetarian, beans instead of chuck, but basically the same otherwise (aside from some tomato paste, which added some nice tang). Both delicious. I’m going to have some great leftovers for Christmas.

I’m finishing up a pot of Pinto beans with ham hocks. Gonna eat as soon as my cornbread gets done.

Decided to do something different this Christmas, so I ordered a turducken from Hebert’s in Houston and am also making a pot of shrimp/crab gumbo

1 Like

I put a couple of pieces of turkey between two slices of bread. Served it with a side of chips. Some of you may think that’s not real chili, but it’s what I like.

1 Like

Almost to room temp. Using the closed oven method and only a light salt/pepper rub.

4 Likes

That looks like a nice hunk of chili.

4 Likes

If it identifies as chili, its choices aren’t bothering me.

1 Like

Tamales and queso consumed. Homemade margaritas. The good kind. Now for an Italian Handshake around the fire with a nice holiday cigar to cap the evening.

Feliz Navidad.

2 Likes

We’re all by ourselves tomorrow, so we can be as unorthodox as we want. Accordingly, we’re going with a lasagne with beef ragu and spinach noodles (red and green, obviously). So yummy. Y’all have a nice Christmas!

3 Likes

TMI

3 Likes

Beef tenderloin, herby potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts. Kept it pretty simple this year, but we have plenty of vino and bourbon to make up for my many shortcomings.

1 Like

Mrs Hawk loves Brussels sprouts, perhaps more than she loves me. I’ve come to really like them too.

I don’t have any grapefruit juice, so no Third Men, but a couple of nice smoked maple Old Fashioneds with Garrison Bros Small Batch hit the spot.

1 Like

I loves me some Brussels sprouts.

I used our lasagne as a reason to open my last bottle of Campogiovanni Brunello di Montalcino. What a wonderful wine.

2 Likes

Brunello is like drinking butter. That and Amarone are the reasons we stay alive.

1 Like

Preach, brother.

The poor reputation for Brussels sprouts came about from people just boiling or steaming them. Roasting makes all the difference.

2 Likes

I like them those ways too. Roasting not required.

1 Like

The last couple of years I cooked beef Wellington, which was successful, but a lot of work and not really good enough to justify the labor. This year I decided to do a standing rib roast in the sous vide, finished on the grill. I seasoned it, let it sit for 24 hours, then cooked it in the sous vide for 24 hours. It was a bit overdone, 135° would have been better than 145°, but a lot of our guests like their meat overdone so that was ok, and it was amazingly tender.

Was it great? It was good, but a ridiculous amount of meat. The Yorkshire puddings that went along with it were about as interesting as the beef. The gumbo though was a complete success. Next year I think I’ll skip the roast and just go with the gumbo.

3 Likes

I pulled my meat (watch it, Limey) at 127 and let it coast up to about 135. I’m not sure even Sadie would eat it at 145.

1 Like