What are you eating?

I’ve gotten into Tibetan, Nepali, and Uzbek food thanks to the enclaves in Seoul. My guess is there is some Burmese here somewhere among the city’s mazes of alleys but I haven’t tried looking yet.

I would guess Burmese food would be similar to northern Thailand? But I don’t really know.

Found a few around but most are down in the migrant worker areas of Ansan. One is central Seoul near my apartment. Looks vaguely south East Asian.

Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes. Having hung out with you, I can honestly say that your drinking proclivities would fit in well in any clubhouse.

Sticking with the rugby theme for a minute, Bath RFC is one of the best, most storied clubs in the UK. Watching them play at The Rec (their home pitch) would be a hell of a lot of fun.

2 Likes

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Mark.

1 Like

If you want more details or have anything in particular you’re interested in, feel free to PM.

I’ve got coworkers that are based out of Singapore that can give local recommendations as well.

2 Likes

We really liked Canterbury. The cathedral is amazing, and you’ll be in an area where you can get a pint of the best beer in the world, Shepherd Neame Master Brew. But Kent in general is a nice place, we enjoyed Dover, Hastings (well, Battle) and the various towns around like Tunbridge Wells. Leeds Castle in Kent was fun, they have a sort of farmer’s market there sometimes which is neat, but just the grounds themselves were nice, we used to take a picnic basket there and just lounge in the grass.

I will say my memory is from when we lived there and the last time that was was 2005-08 so things may have changed.

I’m not sure I agree about south Wales – the area around Swansea seemed quite pleasant, and the ruins of Oystermouth Castle were fascinating. I really liked the Wye valley, though. Tintern Abbey is a “must see”. I suppose part of my opinion is due to too much exposure to romantic poets (especially Wordsworth) and their 20th century throwbacks (E.A. Robinson & A.E. Housman). Housman’s Shropshire Lads is what first drove me to that area. And this poem meant I had to visit Ludlow.

Oh I have been to Ludlow fair 
 And left my necktie God knows where, 
 And carried half way home, or near, 
 Pints and quarts of Ludlow beer ...

The Caedfel Chronicles were also set there.

But even apart from the literary references, the countryside is beautiful; full of rolling hills and 47 shades of green. Very relaxing.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s really the likes of Cardiff and Newport that let it down.

Speaking of…

The last time we were in England we spent some time in London and then drove from Canterbury to Stockbridge via Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Winchester. All of the cathedrals were wonderful, and Salisbury Cathedral and its countryside look exactly like a John Constable painting (which is no small thing). Stockbridge is a chalk stream fly-fishing center, and we spent five nights on the second floor of the Peat Spade Pub and fished the Rivers Anton, Test, and Itchen. We ate every night at the Peat Spade because the food was spectacular and the pub was, well, a great pub. The room wasn’t great, but the experience of staying in a pub and going downstairs for a whisky and dinner was unforgettable.

3 Likes

We’ll be doing a mini-tour of London, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, and Blackpool and mostly playing pub basements while also staying at some of the pubs which does sound fun.

1 Like

I think you probably can’t go many places in England that don’t have something to see, and pubs. The pub we stayed in happened to have great food, but it wasn’t pub fare. I like that too though.

I was told by Brits: When in doubt find curry or Chinese.

4 Likes

The beauty of their women and the quality of their cuisine inspired British men to become the world’s greatest sailors.

4 Likes

I have no idea what I’m watching, but I’m hooked.

1 Like

It’s worth it if even just to go laugh at the road signs.

My ex. owns her own real estate brokerage. Her marketing team has been pushing her to have more local interest video content on their social media, so she has started a YouTube channel to host such content.

It would really help her with the algorithm if you could view, like and subscribe to her content and, of course, feel free to share it with anyone who may be interested. They’re only short clips so this isn’t a big time commitment

Here’s the first two vids:

Thanks!

Trigger warning: Dallas content coming soon.

1 Like

Now you’re about to cross the line.

As I believe you told me lately - you’re dead to me.

1 Like

This site has long needed a dislike button.

3 Likes