What are you eating?

I think a Disdain button would be more appropriate

8 Likes

Pretty sure HH would be totally cool with us using various emojis

2 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy:

Since it’s BBQ Kickoff weekend, I put a brisket on the smoker about 1:00 this morning. It’s looking pretty good for an afternoon feast!

3 Likes

Goddamn, I miss brisket.

Is this on your Traeger? I’d love to know your technique exactly. I’ve taken a couple decent whacks so far on mine but with lots of room for improvement.

I had a pit made in Houston and shipped out here. Klose pits on 34th, and it’s superb. Neighbors get friendly when they smell the smoke. I’ll probably fire it up next month and have an impromptu block party.

On my Memphis. Rub with salt and pepper, some sort of spice (today I’m using Kosmos Cow Cover), then another layer of pepper. 225 until it’s done (at least 190 degrees), probably about 12 hours for my 11-lb brisket (I don’t wrap on the smoker). Remove, wrap in butcher paper and towels in the cooler for at least three hours. Slice and enjoy with an ice cold longneck.

That’s at about 10.5 hours. Internal is about 185

4 Likes

You open it??!?!? Doesn’t that mess with the temp too much,

I have to open to take its temperature. It lowers the temp for a minute, but at 225 degrees it gets back up pretty quickly. Opening once after 10 hours isn’t gonna kill it. Just don’t peek at it every half hour.

1 Like

Get you a digital Bluetooth thermometer. Well worth it.

1 Like

For those of us without a smoker or wood grill, do you think a (well seasoned) gas grill could work?

From what I’ve read, with a gas grill you can try adding some wood chips like you would with an electric smoker.

2 Likes

6 Likes

It could. You’d have to make sure the temp stayed low enough, and of course, add something for smoke. Not ideal, but could be done.

1 Like

That looks real good. Also impressed with the Fleeger and Bingo plushies

1 Like

Damn, nice smoke ring there. But how do you and Mrs Hawk eat 11lbs of brisket?

One bite at a time

1 Like

Over a number of days. Lunch, supper, brisket sandwiches, chopped baked potatoes, in salads…it takes a while. And that was the smallest brisket I could find.