What are you eating?

I haven’t been in 20 years, but when I was there I really liked York.

Where would you, if you were a tourist, go for a couple of weeks? London, of course, but you could spend a month there…

I’m going to be in Hawaii from the 18th to the 27th of this month. Three days based out of Waikiki and 5 days based out of Kona. I’m not planning on eating any Spam.

1 Like

I can second this non-recommendation. I really like Singapore — the Melia on Scotts is a decent place to stay, and the food court in Newton Circus is worth at least a trip a day. Some of the pricier options are above expectations, but have never disappointed. If you have time to just relax, the botanical garden is the place to go.

2 Likes

What kind of recommendations are you looking for, exactly?

My experience there was throw a rock and hit amazing food. The beer scene there is behind the times US-wise, but I had some really good Japanese beer here: Google Maps

I highly recommend just about anything food-wise, the food scene is insane.

The Food Centers are pretty amazing. We went to the Newton Food Center and ate like kings for very cheap, Singapore-wise.

There are several Michelin Star food stalls at the various Hawker Centers and honestly, you can’t go wrong. 100 stalls all selling delicious food and drinks.

We had an absolutely fantastic but super pricey seafood dinner at No Signboard. The chili crab and salt and pepper crab were unbelievable.

I would say Raffles is worth a visit if you’re dying to play 30+ dollars for a very tasty drink, but it otherwise was pretty meh. We had one drink and got the fuck out.

The Singapore Zoo was pretty cool, as far as zoos go.

And the botanical gardens as well as the Gardens by the Bay were super cool.

The Garden by the Bay light show we just accidentally wandered up on, and it was quite impressive: Gardens by the Bay Light Show in Singapore- Supertrees from Avatar!.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. We did a bunch of other stuff but that’s all a year old blur.

2 Likes

Haha well luckily the festival will be giving us money for food and beer so I’ll survive for a few days.

I’ve found that most major Asian cities are food paradises. Spin around with your eyes closed and just point. That place will be awesome.

2 Likes

Last time I was in NYC, our friends recommended a hole in the wall Burmese restaurant…I’d never even thought of Burmese as a cuisine.

It was possibly the best asian food I’ve ever had in the US

On the Big Island, take a trip to the top of Mauna Kea, preferably at sunset. Magnificent. The mai tais generally sucked everywhere. The best were at the House Without a Key, which is part of the Halekulani hotel.

Bangkok is my favorite place to eat. The food in Indonesia is generally pretty bad though.

1 Like

Much more detailed than mine, but spot on. As long as you avoid international chains, you will eat very well. And unless you crave white table cloths, go for the stalls and patio food courts.

As for beer, I recommend Tiger or Singha — neither are local but both are widely available and for the climate. You can also get some decent Ozzie beer there (by which I mean other than Foster).

Tiger is local to Singapore. It was my go-to in Thailand too.

I’m a terrible tourist guide for the UK. But, outside of London, it’s hard to go wrong with the Cotswolds. Every village is a picture postcard. You can visit Cheddar Gorge (where the cheese comes from). Bath is just nearby which is a very cool little Roman city (2,000 year old shit). A VIP tour of Longleat (not as expensive or grandiose as it sounds) is an absolutely phenomenal way to spend a day.

But really, outside of the cities, every part of the UK (south Wales excepted) has it’s own beauty, charm, beer and incomprehensible regional dialect.

2 Likes

Amen to that. It is hard to eat more than $10 worth at any of the excellent food carts, and $8-11 will get you a top end meal in a hole-in-the-wall place as long as you do not expect English to be understood. Pointing & sign language works well, though a couple of key words like “Kai” (chicken) or “goong” (shrimp) are helpful. And of course, “Bee-yah”.

On a side note, our semi-regular poster “believin” lives in Singapore, or used to.

I’ve found that you can communicate surprisingly well most anywhere this way.

You can also install the Google Translate app to your phone. I had a really great and long conversation with a French roadside assistance gentleman with both of us just typing back and forth via Translate on my phone.

Apparently I look like a rugby player to some French folks.

1 Like

Thanks so much, I will do these things.

Now for more important question…which club should I become a fan of, since I have no attachment to any of them?

(as a kid I always thought that Arsenal and Ajax were the best names)

1 Like

Watch “When Eagles Dare” on Amazon, and you’ll know. That’s “When”, not “Where”.

1 Like

To be fair, Where Eagles Dare is pretty fucking awesome too.

3 Likes

Thank you, I was a bit confused about the “wtf does that have to do with…” thing.