What are you eating?

I typically use a damp paper towel. It’s not the same as having your abuela make them for you, but reheated tortillas are better than no tortillas.

4 Likes

There’s no burner, gas or electric, that cannot resurrect a tortilla.

2 Likes

Nilgai tenderloin over an open fire is a positive experience.

2 Likes

Where’d you get it?

About three miles west of Sarita on the Kenedy Ranch.

1 Like

“Blue Bull” was what we used to call them down there.

I was curious, because if anyone here’s ever interested in some wild game…Broken Arrow Ranch is a top quality purveyor

They have other stuff at the Ingram/Hunt grocery store.

Nilgai is comparable to axis in terms of flavor. Anyway, two old guys trying to drag a five hundred pound nilgai out of the brush and load it into the bed of a truck even with a wench was kind of a three ring circus. So, if you can buy it online without shooting it and throwing out your back, that’s probably the way to go.

2 Likes

Avoiding back issues is always the way to go.

2 Likes

Public service reminder: the Rick Bayless green tomatillo enchilada sauce (Rick BaylessRoasted Tomatillo Enchiladas - Rick Bayless) is a high payoff for a modest effort. My only suggestion is to line your roasting pan with foil.

2 Likes

Ate at Lucille’s for the first time today. Highly recommended. Fried Green Tomatoes, catfish and grits, oxtail tamales with eggs, watermelon sangria. Man oh man. http://www.lucilleshouston.com/

4 Likes

I’ve never had an oxtail tamale with egg in my life but it’s my new favorite food. Now I just have to find one here in Vermont (unlikely) or find a good recipe and import decent ingredients somehow.

This seems genuinely accurate, which is genuinely appalling.

How does anyone live past 50?

1 Like

I’ve had like 80% of this and the most common response afterwards was, “well, I’ve eaten and don’t need to for another 8 hours”.

Most of it, I’ve had in various iterations here in the States. I love fish & chips as well as a full english breakfast. Bangers & mash and shepherds pie are both excellent. Most of the rest is sustenance more so than food. The most surprising thing was the inverse expectation/realization when I started traveling to the UK. I thought for sure that most of these would be markedly better in the UK than the US versions. I was shockingly wrong. Except for the full english breakfast. I have not found that to be well duplicated anywhere outside of the UK.

2 Likes

Wait…so…some bacon between two pieces of toasted white bread is God Tier?

2 Likes

Nobody should be eating bland beans for breakfast.

And a proper beef wellington should rank higher on that chart

2 Likes

For Brits? Yes.

1 Like

And Scotch eggs are freakin’ awesome when you’re drinking

2 Likes

If you’re hung over, it’s the greatest thing you’ve ever tasted.

I’ll stick with a breakfast burrito. But I’ll be on tour in the UK for the first time this summer and now I’m terrified thanks to this food chart.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to England once, on a high school trip to London and Paris. I remember everyone liking British food and only eating bread in Paris.

1 Like