What are you eating?

Definitely this. I’m not a smoker person, but what I’ve learned from a lot of sideline watching is that even a brisket that falls WELL short of perfect is still absolutely delicious.

1 Like

Thanks guys.

2 Likes

209 is fine.

209 is fine. Leave it in the igloo until you’re ready to slice. Don’t worry. Worrying is bad for your brisket.

4 Likes

Oliver is on top form here. Hilarious and informative.

And, yes, he argues that leafy greens are more dangerous than meat.

1 Like

This article popped up on my phone, reminded me of the bbq sauce conversation that got started here:

This is excellent for pulled pork. Cuts thru the richness and let’s you eat 3 times more than you should.

O.K. everyone. I want to try grilling or smoking my turkey this year. I have a 13-and-a-half-pound organic practice bird from Whole Foods I’m doing this Sunday. It is thawing now. Thinking I will dry-brine it from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.

I have a Traeger and a Weber charcoal grill. My preference would be to find a good way to use the Traeger, since that is the easiest for me to use and thus the one I am most likely to reproduce, but there is a basic issue of it not being enormous.

Meathead Goldwyn recommends setting the bird above or on top of a 3-quart pan filled with good stuff that will eventually become the gravy. I could ostensibly do this on my Weber, but then I’d have to be tending a charcoal fire with a pan nestled in among the coals beneath the grate, which sounds like a pain in the ass.

Alternatively, I could spatchcock the bird and fit it in my Traeger.

But once I’ve decided to Traeger it, I have another dilemma. Do I want to go low and slow and properly “smoke” it? Or do I want to just set that sucker to 350 and be done in a few hours?

My primary concern here is getting a juicy and delicious turkey. Time is no object. I am a serviceable but inexpert grillmaster.

Thoughts?

If it’s not pre-brinded: brine it for 24 hours (your choice of brine, flavors, it’s simple)

Use your traeger and smoke it for about ? at ? temp

My cousin does a smoked turkey every year, stays up and checks fire overnight like cooking a brisket, and it is by far the better of the 2 (oven roast).

I have a call in to him to get some advice.

This man has never steered me wrong.

probe in breast away from fire, once the internal temp hits 165 shut it down and let it rest for 30-60 minutes

Spatchcock. This Sunday and every day. And smoke it. Low. 225. It will only take 2-3 hours, it’s not a brisket. And brining turkey is way overrated, IMO.

1 Like

I really like injecting poultry instead of brining. I think injectors can be had cheaply, the liquid distributes better through the bird if you do it some hours before, and it doesn’t ruin the skin. I use some combination of butter, salt, wine, water and herbs. Maybe some vinegar or lemon juice. You have to be careful with herbs or they’ll clog the injector.

There are probably lots of injection recipes on the internet. It’s not brining, so don’t use too much salt.

Spatchcocking has the big advantage of keeping the breast and thighs close in temperature.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with injection of birds. And spatchcocking. It cooks more evenly and faster. A turkey should cook about 12-14 minutes per pound. Start it in the morning, and you’re ready to eat at dinner time (which is 2:00 pm, dammit!!) It’s not a sit overnight and babysit kind of meat.

I like to inject my birds but I also like to use my hands to slather a few sticks of room temp butter inside the bird between the skin and meat. Cooked one like that on the Trager last Christmas and it turned out great. I haven’t tried to spatchcock a turkey but I most always do that with my chickens.

Just for reference…the last one I did:

2 Likes

One thing I haven’t mastered is a solid fajita marinade. Sometimes I nail it, sometimes it’s off, and of course I never write anything down.

Yall have ideas, I know, lay 'em on me.

Cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, agave juice, and chocolate blended in papaya juice and everclear. Wait, I thought you wanted my chili recipe.

1 Like

You forgot the beans.

2 Likes

Central American fajitas: chicken, white rice, black beans. Maybe some lime juice and salt if you’re feeling spicy