What are you eating?

You forgot the beans.

2 Likes

Central American fajitas: chicken, white rice, black beans. Maybe some lime juice and salt if you’re feeling spicy

I gave up on it and just went with the liquid.

1 Like

I made my so-good-you-won’t-know-it’s-not-meat vegan Chili this weekend. I was going to eschew the beans - which I do when I’m making it for other people - but then I realized that it’s hardly traditional, so in went a can of red kidney beans.

1 Like

That’s also the recipe for meatloaf, Thanksgiving dinner, the blue plate special, and pizza.

1 Like

I used to make quite a bit of vegetarian chili from a mix that came in a box and honestly it was excellent. I’m sure there are innumerable options now.

1 Like

I used to make that box version veggie chili back in my vegetarian days. It was good. I usually poured it over a bed of rice. I think the brand was Garden of Eatin’ or something like that.

I’ve used this for fajitas: 1 cup Orange juice, 1 tablespoon roughly ground coffee, 1 tablespoon of coarse ground pepper, 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, the juice of 2 large or 3 small limes fresh squeezed, 6 garlic cloves (peeled and smashed) 6 ounces of Topo Chico. Put in a heavy duty gallon zip lock bag and add 2 pounds of meat. Let soak in the refrigerator for several hours.

1 Like

which one?

Everclear

1 Like

It was the only brand available at the regular grocery stores back then, so I’m pretty sure we were making the same thing. It was far better than it really needed to be.

I make Bob’s Red Mill Country Chili.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/country-chili/

My deviations from the published recipe is all to do with the tomatoes. I use 2x 16oz cans crushed tomatoes and 2x 16oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes (gives it a touch of smoke). Beans are entirely optional, I just throw in a 16oz can if I feel like it - no need to adjust anything.

1tsp of cayenne is my minimum, increasing from there depending on how many beers down I am when cooking.

1 Like

I think this was it, or was at least analogous to it.

What’s everybody doing for Thanksgiving? We’re traditionalists, so it’s turkeys smoked and roasted, ham, and every side and dessert you can think of (there’s usually 30+ people, and about half of them bring something)

Any personal favorite side dishes that are a bit different?

Smoked turkey here. The usual cornbread dressing, green beans and Mrs Hawk’s pumpkin pie. My dad is coming over, and it’ll just be the three of us, but a good time is expected. Also…smoked maple old fashioneds and a couple of bottles of Turley are on the menu.

1 Like

We’re even smaller than usual this year. Kids and a spouse, grandmom, me and Kris. It’s kind of a shame, so if anyone needs a place to be you’re welcome. Thanksgiving is best with lots of folk. The only two oddities—and they’re small—are a winter squash soup, and then roasted winter vegetables: turnips, golden beets, carrots, shallots, parsnips, carrots, all roasted together, more or less. That’s one of my favorites.

The cranberry sauce will have ginger and orange peel.

Turkey this year will be spatchcocked, injected and roasted on the big green egg. I’ve smoked the Turkey some years, but this year I just think I’ll roast it. I may put chopped pecans in the dressing, because I think my momma put chopped pecans in the dressing. I made oyster dressing once for Christmas, and hated it.

We’ve got sage in the yard, and thanksgiving needs sage. We’ve got duck stock on hand, so I can use that for the soup, and I’ll make stock when I spatchcock the turkey. That’s the gravy and the dressing.

And also Turley.

2 Likes

Going semi-Mexican. I got bags of mulato and pasilla negro chiles to go with my big stash of anchos, and I’ll be making mole poblano to serve over chicken. Ancho-butternut squash soup to start, rice, scalloped potatoes, and corn pudding (recipe from Fonda San Miguel) for sides, and flan for dessert. I, too, will be serving a Turley zin (on Rick Bayless’s recommendation). I haven’t decided which one yet. If anybody body has suggestions (I’m talking to you, @MikeS), I’d love to hear them.

1 Like

I don’t know what it was about oyster dressing (I love oysters and I love dressing) but it just did not work together and I’ll never try that again

Same here.

1 Like

crawfish stuffing, dirty rice style, is amazing though. I dunno.