Verlander Re-Signing: Will He or Won't He?

That is sound advice, Jim.

I’m not looking for anyone to come changing after me.

However, I do need to look in the mirror. I have always been bothered by the trash talking mentality and always felt that it was disrespectful. But in many ways, that’s a me problem.

And by “trash talking mentality” I mean talking about the people rather than the subject.

Many perfectly respectable and good people do that. I don’t or haven’t. And I guess I do have a thin skin over it.

But it’s not fair for me to expect others to change to my values and opinions.

To all of you, including Jim, I apologize for making this about me and taking up so much time and energy of OWA.

I will ( try) to learn from this and just let things roll off my back in the future.

I hope it can be over now.

Good advice.

I’ve often wondered if we have any Mormons around here and if so what I can do to offend them, too.

3 Likes

I exist surrounded by Mormons.

Most of the ones I interact with go out of their way to hide the fact.

And most don’t act like Mormons in their everyday lives.

A Mormon joke just came to mind but I don’t want to offend anyone

You would be missing out on more baseball knowledge than most of the rest of us have combined if you use that feature. He is a crotchety old man (about my age), but a wealth of knowledge and insight. Be patient. You will be old someday too (if you are lucky).

Crotchety? Old? A pox on you.

2 Likes

Well that’s your first mistake.

6 Likes

Agreed, I have been reading his posts since about 1997. He’s a wealth of knowledge.

I like IDS/LDS just fine, but it’s pretty obvious he’s taking more time than is strictly necessary to get the hang of things around here.

Sure, you were around for the pox.

2 Likes

Oh, I know that there are plenty of Mormons in Idaho. In my experience, Mormons are not like vegans in that they won’t tell you all about their fucked up belief system within the first few minutes of conversation, but they aren’t that hard to identify. If someone’s always smiling, has a stupid haircut and wants to sell you some essential oils, well, more’n likely you gotcherself a Mormon.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought “Idaho” was a hilarious misnomer like Bregman calling Bauer “Tyler.”

2 Likes

I have a friend/co-worker who is very Mormon, and while we disagree on everything from politics to haircuts, I have an enormous amount of respect for him personally. He’s never tried to preach to me, and he has an unrelenting drive to be a good citizen and to help others. I’ve never met anyone who puts his time, and his money, where his mouth is more. Perhaps he’s an anomoly, but we need more people willing to do that.

6 Likes

I had Mormon neighbors like that-no proselytizing ever over 20+ years.

The company I work for is based in Utah, and pretty much all Mormon. Very nice people but odd. They try hard to be “cool” and remind me of that “how do you do, fellow kids?” meme. Very pleasant folk tho. Very white, like Eddie Murphy white guy imitation white. It’s pretty funny.

My friend is cool, without trying too hard to be. For example, he goes to the bar for office happy hours with us, though he drinks cranberry juice. It doesn’t feel forced, we just know he doesn’t drink alcohol or caffeine. It’s all cool, and he has a good time with us while we’re having a beer or a cocktail. He’s fun to be around, and it’s not awkward at all. Again, that’s one individual, and he’s a very outgoing personality in general, so I’m sure that helps.

Not lately.

So, what’s JV going to do?

I think he will get many offers of 2-3 yrs.

More 2 yr than 3 yr but I don’t think the QO will be accepted.

I do think the Astros will make a 2yr or 2yr+option offer to him after he declines the QO.

Personally, I think he declines the QO and I think any deal Houston offers won’t be in the ballpark. He pitches elsewhere.