Verlander Re-Signing: Will He or Won't He?

I have a hard time with the lack of support he showed his team this year. My gut tells me he checked out of Houston long before his contract expired. Which is why the team apparently threw a fit when he was supposed to throw out the first pitch in one of the playoff games. He did absolutely nothing for Houston in 2020 and 2021. I’m afraid there may be some problems with JV in the clubhouse with the rest of the guys. If he leaves, I might could understand him going back to Detroit. Like HH, I will reserve judgement until he signs somewhere.

Tempest in a teapot, I’d guess regarding relationships with his teammates. If he comes back, HE sets the tone with the younger players. And, for the highly compensated veterans, I’m guessing there will be an unspoken understanding that the unofficial rules apply only to some. This is not some juco or rookie league team.

1 Like

You’re probably right. I hope he comes back and does well. He would be great for some of the young guys to learn from. I’m not holding my breath though.

Don’t light the torches yet.

Click ruled out a JV return well before the end of the season.

Or at least he announced it.

And touching 97 is great.

When was the last time he faced a batter?

3 Likes

97 would be great in the 7th inning after about 150-200 innings pitched in the season. I don’t think velocity will be the concern. Longevity, the ability to stay healthy and pitching well after a major surgery will be the concern.

Didn’t Bagwell make overtures about coming back in 2006, but the club preferred he not so they could collect on insurance on his contract? Wonder if a similar situation happened with JV this year. Don’t know how all that works though.

Also, throwing for scouts and pitching in the postseason are completely different animals.

1 Like

Absolutely correct, but he had to show teams his velocity is back. I wonder how his arm felt the next day, but he likely has been testing max effort in private to get ready for the public showing.

I feel much as HH expressed. If he puts himself up for auction, much of the respect I have for him will be gone. A two-year extension for only 6 innings? Come on, JV-one year, $19M. You owe the Astros that.

2 Likes

I will feel that way unless he signs with Detroit. It’s Houston, Detroit, or he’s dead to me.

I do not have a Detroit exception for 2022. After that year, ok.

2 Likes

I understand how you feel, but that is not how players think.

They feel ( and in most cases justifiably) that they already spent years underpaid so they don’t owe any team or owner anything.

And the union is pressuring them to not make any concessions that may be ammunition against them for other players.

I completely understand how they feel. But that doesn’t make them any less assholes.

4 Likes

Please do not tell me you know how players think. That is hilariously funny.

You forget my psychic abilities.

1 Like

Glad I could amuse you, Jim.

Once again, I need to be careful of my word choices and how I post my thoughts to avoid clashes.

I concede that I am not a professional baseball player and never have been.

However I am a reasonably intelligent human with the capacity for critical thought. I feel it’s reasonable that humans in that position might feel that way.

Please enlighten me about how wrong I am.

1 Like

Perhaps this is all you should have said.

Point made. Thanks.

I feel you are 100% correct. I’m sure Verlander and Correa both feel as if they don’t owe Houston a thing.

I’m sure that’s the case. And I agree with Correa. Verlander owes me.

1 Like

Let’s be clear: JV doesn’t owe the city of Houston anything. He owes HH a lot. There was a gambling incident, I think.

2 Likes

Not the City of Houston; the Houston Fucking Astros. Verlander owes the organization a lot.

Idaho, you are a fucking baby. You see personal attacks in every disagreement. I am not going to respond to your latest whiny post.