Travel 2021

So today I’m making my first flight since January 2020. Man…the airport has changed. Not the important part, United is still staffed by an army of bitter shrews, and checking a bag and getting through security is still the exact same clusterfuck it’s been for decades. But the airport has changed. There’s a gazillion iPads on tables everywhere, no more rows of those ubiquitous black chairs. You want something to eat or a cup of coffee…go find one of those iPads and figure it out. And a bottle of water is $8. It’s like going to the ballpark. I know, I know…but it’s been a while. You have to feed me change gradually.

Where are you heading? Safe travels!

Thanks. Headed to Tampa for a few days to visit my oldest and bestest friend who’s going through radiation and chemo treatments. Will have a sandwich and cigar or two, as well.

3 Likes

Been to the airport in Austin a couple of times, including the last week in November. Lots more eateries inside, and they only have local businesses. Security was easy with the TSA designation. I think of it as a friendly place, and that part has not changed.

Safe travels, pal.

1 Like

I went to London a couple of weeks ago. Fluid COVID regulations mean that you have to check daily as to what your requirements are to fly. Bizarrely, United - which my colleague took - has its shit together more than BA.

Airports always used to fill my brain with existential questions such as how did a species so incredibly dumb manage to build all this. Now, with COVID, it just reaffirms that we’re too ignorant and selfish to survive this.

Case in point: Upon landing, BA instructs everyone to stay seated when we reach the gate and that we will disembark by rows. Then we reach the gate, the seatbelt sign is turned off and everyone (save yours truly) gets up and starts dragging their shit out of the overheads. So we now waste 5 minutes while the cabin crew get everyone back in their seats before we can start getting off. Fucking morons.

3 Likes

My head is permanently consumed with such questions.

1 Like

That surprises me because isn’t “queuing” (standing in line) the British National Pastime?

1 Like

Thanks. It’s a lousy reason, but it’s good to get away, see some old friends, and give one some much needed love and support.

3 Likes

That is a very good reason. He needs you.

2 Likes

I will say the option of paying the tab whenever you want to rather than having to get the server’s attention and wait on them to bring you the check, then take your credit card and return the signature page has dramatically reduced the stress of stopping for a drink and a bite before getting to the gate on time.

Have a great trip HH. Like Jim said, there could be no better reason to travel.

4 Likes

Idiocracy is our future.

2 Likes

Future??

3 Likes

I travel because I like the destination part of it. But I have always hated the transit part. My baseline level of anxiety is probably pretty high to begin with but it definitely spikes when I fly. Not because of any fear of flying but because of the myriad worries you have to deal with along the way.

Foremost of those worries is did I forget something or lose something along the way which has multiplied these days because of the additional things you have to now carry. Did I leave my car keys in the tray when I went through the scanner? Did I leave my wallet back there at the coffee kiosk? I had my passport just a second ago–now where the fuck did it go? I know I packed those vaccination cards–why aren’t they in the pocket in the carry-on where I remembered putting them? Oh God, where’s my phone? Shit that’s got my boarding pass on it. And the immigration and customs form that I had to fill out in advance. And my negative COVID test results.

Travel days suck.

2 Likes

One thing I love about Asia is how every restaurant no matter the quality allows you to just walk up and pay whenever you’re ready. Overall the wait staff generally leave you alone unless called upon but are always at the ready. A lot of places in Korea also have a bell system which is awesome. They don’t bug you until you hit the button. It’s jarring to come back to the US and have a waiter buzz bombing the table every 5 minutes.

1 Like

Are you saying we’re not the greatest at every damn thing? I’m going to have to kill you, heathen.

I love rum and cigars. Jobu had it right.

1 Like

So if I wanted to go buy a bottle of dark rum, what should I buy?

Flor de Caña 12 — or 7 if you are mixing it heavily.

I really like that. Not a rum aficionado but I do like it a lot and it’s easy to find.