Trade Deadline 2024

I’m going to tell myself it was deadline related to give myself hope.

1 Like

If it wasn’t, I think it would have been said by now. Somebody from the front office would have gotten in front of it and texted a reporter.

He’s an Astros SP so the most likely scenario is that his arm fell off.

1 Like

I like your optimism.

One bad outing and he’s considered a scrub?

Reports are Astros are close to acquiring Kukuchi. Bloss going to the Jays.

For Bloss at least

Hope it’s true, and of course hope Astros can work typical magic with a pitcher that as pretty damn good stuff.

I think Bloss could have a bright future and I hate to give him up for Kikuchi but Kikuchi makes the 24 team vastly better than Bloss does

1 Like

I would rather see a pitching prospect go than one of our young bats. Stros have shown they can develop pitching.

2 Likes

Bloss may have a bright future, but you get 20 rounds every year to find the next Jake Bloss, along with developing pitchers already in your minor league system. The Astros needed another league average arm to eat innings, if nothing else. Kikuchi gives them that.

2 Likes

He does make it better than Bloss, but acquiring Kikuchi is nothing to pump our fists about. It’s better than nothing though, but this is about what I expected. We just don’t have much to trade.

They have a legitimate major league pitcher instead of a guy who should be at AA

3 Likes

Oh I agree, and I said he’s better in the rotation than Bloss, but he’s still not a guy we probably want on the mound in a big game down the stretch.

But I’m grateful for this move. We couldn’t continue with what he had. I’m hoping we aren’t done but….

I disagree. He has above average stuff and if Stros can work their typical magic he may be well above average before all is said and done.

2 Likes

There’s some room for Kikuchi to be more than that. He’s a high strikeout, low walk guy. His ERA(4.87) is about a run higher than his FIP(3.61), so you’d expect his ERA to drop with the Astros defense behind him.

2 Likes

Ideally, they get JV back by September 1, and Kikuchi is the fifth starter. But, getting someone who can give them a chance to win games by going 5 to 6 solid innings every time out helps the team, especially the bullpen.

2 Likes

All correct, and you are especially correct about our defense and the impact
It could have. My concern is the amount of hits he gives up. But the k’s are something to hang your hat on.

I don’t disagree. I was simply saying even if Kikuchi continues to pitch at his current level that will help the Astros by not putting as much stress on the bullpen every five days.

And that is a really big point. This is a good move for sure, it’s just not the impact arm we all want. But I’m sure we all understand the constraints with that desire.