Trade Deadline 2024

No wonder the Rays thought they could get Hunter Brown for Paredes. If Edman can get you Fedde and Pham then Paredes is worth Brown right?

I’m not one to usually think I could actually do a better job than an actual GM… but I think I could get a better return than that, and maybe do a better job overall the White Sox.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I just don’t think we have the prospect capital to acquire anyone of significance. I SINCERELY hope I’m wrong. Surprise me Mr Brown!!

2 Likes

If I knew I’d do what it takes to extend Flaherty, sure I would. For a rental, no.

1 Like

This is where I am too. I’m not trading 5 years of control with Arrighetti for what, 10 starts of Flaherty? If Flaherty was then extended for 3 years after the trade, I could do that. But Flaherty would want more than 3 years and idk if I could go more than 3 years for him

2 Likes

Arrighetti is worth way more than Flaherty as a rental.

Maybe Flaherty AND 2 prospects in the 5-15 range?

The bigger issue with deal, though (at least immediately) is that it does not add a starter to the rotation.

1 Like

I see absolutely not circumstance where we trade a current SP

4 Likes

Even where you trade Arrighetti, who has maybe 8-10 starts of 4.50 ERA ball in him for the balance of the year (including the post season) for Flaherty, someone that, if healthy, can get you thru the post season banging out a 3.25 ERA?

Remember, Arrighetti has never projected to be a top shelf starter. What would justify protecting him at the cost of what amounts to be one of the final years of the bubble that’s already been miraculously extended?

2 Likes

Sure, Flaherty would be an upgrade for the rest of this season over Arrighetti. But that doesn’t get Bloss out of the rotation. So is Flaherty/Bloss(at least for a month) an upgrade over other SP trade/Arrighetti? That would be a big part of the question

2 Likes

This right here.

4 Likes

Justin Turner to Seattle

Because Arrighetti has 5 years of control remaining. The Astros have an entire starting rotation on the IL, so they need depth. Even middle-of-the-rotation or fourth starter types like Arrighetti have value when they are much cheaper than the cost to sign pitching in free agency.

And I highly doubt anyone in the Astros’ front office is talking like the window is closing. Jim Crane might go nuclear on them if they did.

Maybe…bc the other starters you are talking about acquiring aren’t necessarily all that great either.

It’s not like Arrighetti has pitched well for more than one start at any given time this year. At least an Arrighetti/Flaherty deal gives you a chance in that spot of the rotation while you wait on one or both of Verlander/Garcia to come back towards the end of August.

Where is Brandon Bielak when you need him?

Maybe it is Bloss that needs to get dealt along with a player like Leon for Flaherty.

Hate to see this. I know he is old, but that guy has always been a thorn in the Astros side.

1 Like

Ty France now a Red -

Solid response on twitter: Cincinatti now controls Ty France and Jonathan India, you were playing checkers and these mfs are playing Risk

3 Likes

Back where he started (started). Here he comes 'round again. today is the day he gets up and he says, I’m gonna do it again, do it again, do it again, do it again.

Apologies to Ray Davies.

Jake Bloss scratched, no word yet if it’s deadline related

2 Likes

Lane Thomas to the Guardians

Either deadline related, or just conceding the game to Skenes.

1 Like

I mean, they can do that with Bloss starting

1 Like