Trade Deadline 2024

If it’s a higher price than the Astros just paid, he ain’t going nowhere

You guys all seem really, really big on Loperfido, much more so than I am. Not that I’m big on Kikuchi, but I don’t see Loperfido the hitter others do. Don’t know much about Wagner.

Evidently you and the front office think alike. I’ve been around here long enough to know that you are probably right HH.

I sure hope you are right.

There are some peripherals around Kikichi that are easy to like, but it makes you wonder why no one has been able to harness them consistently at this point. Hopefully the Astros can.

1 Like

The Astros seem to pull a steady stream of fourth outfielders from the system.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s as much about Loperfido’s long-term future as it is that he and Bloss each have nearly six years of club control and Kikuchi is a rental with an ERA near 5. If this was the package for Flaherty or either Chris Bassitt or Jose Berrios with the Blue Jays, the level of shock and anger would be minimal.

4 Likes

I agree re Loperfido. Overpaid for the pitcher, but Loperfido is not a huge loss.

1 Like

Me either, but I know this much: He has been a .300 hitter, .400 obp with almost twice as many walks as strikeouts. At every level… And he has a little pop in that bat too.

1 Like

I’m just a regular yahoo too. I think Loperfifo can be a good player, just don’t see him as the future star many do. But if you don’t get a starter, this season is lost. That’s the dire situation the Astros have found themselves.

2 Likes

No reason for this, but all the sudden I feel like we gotta win this game after seeing the trade. The two obviously have nothing to do with one another, but that’s how I feel.

1 Like

Exactly.

Not so much that I think Loperfido can be a star, but I think he can be a solid contributor for the next 5 years. Wagner I know nothing about and don’t feel anything about his loss. Bloss I really like and I think could be a rotation member for 5 years.

All that combined for a 4/5 starter for two months, is insane.

2 Likes

At the very least, you wait and see what the prices look like tomorrow.

2 Likes

I just don’t see what you see in Bloss or Loperfido. And I don’t get worked up about “under club control for six years” kind of thinking. You’re trying to improve the team. You’re in first place at the deadline, but you will not continue to be so unless you get a starting pitcher, someone better than Jake Bloss is right now.

1 Like

Maybe this isn’t the complete deal and Vlad is somehow part of it.

If i learned anything about Jim Crane is that he wants to win and as long as there is a window opening to improve today’s team, he’s going to take it and worry about the future later.

Vlad wouldn’t be literally playing for Toronto right now if he was a part of it

2 Likes

They haven’t announced anything yet. It’s just Tweets. Things can change

True but Guerrero Jr. is a pipe dream. No way he is going anywhere. More likely Springer and his contract.

Even if Bloss and Loperfido flame out and become Corbin Martin and Derek Fisher, it’s an overpay.

The Cardinals got Fedde AND Pham for Tommy Edman, a below average bat and good defender

The Royals got Lorenzen for a minor league reliever

The Astros gave up two of their top prospects and a 3rd who has done nothing but hit in the minors

Insane

6 Likes

I don’t see either Bloss or Loperfido as incredibly damaging losses. Bloss might develop into a mid-rotation arm, but the Astros develop pitchers every year, and they get to draft more Jake Bloss’ caliber arms every season. If Loperfido doesn’t improve his strikeout rate, he could be a AAAA-caliber player.

I already said I was in favor of the trade when it was originally reported as Bloss for Kikuchi. Even though the cost is higher than I think it should have been, I’m happy the Astros acquired a veteran starting pitcher because they desperately needed one.