Trade Deadline 2024

I don’t care if they overpay, if it makes the team better. Neither does Crane.

1 Like

Opportunity cost is a real bitch.

If they waited too long to pull the trigger, those opportunities can pass by quickly without any additional dialogue. Waiting until tomorrow is a bad idea. If the Astros came through the deadline with the same pitching staff in tact, it would be a massive failure.

1 Like

Well, depends. You can wait till tomorrow if the player is gone.

Brown might have to till soil if he waited 'til Tuesday.

Reports out there that we are also in in Yandy Diaz.

For what? Half the roster?

1 Like

I give props Toronto for asking for more than they probably thought they could get, but none to Brown for accepting the overcharge.

3 Likes

Of course not, just the Sugar Land and Corpus Christi rosters.

Man, I hate to see Wagner go, maybe more than the other 2.

1 Like

The Astros still have not announced the terms of the trade, multiple hours later. Perhaps the reporters from Toronto’s side jumped the gun.

Nope. Astros posted it.

1 Like

I just saw that. They had not yet announced it at the time of my post.

I hated to see that he was included in the trade. He was having a pretty solid season. Not that he could have filled Bregman’s shoes next year but there needs to be a plan there.

Dana Brown says they think Kikuchi is a power arm that can pitch for them in the postseason. He also says he thinks their development team can get him to a place where he is dominant with his 93-98 mph fastball.

Earlier in the press conference, he said they liked all three of Loperfido, Bloss and Wagner, but to get major league quality starting pitching, you have to give up players that hurt.

Ok. So the world didn’t just end.

The Astros got a dependable SP who will pitch 6 innings every 5-6 days and has peripherals that say he’s much better than his ERA shows.

I hate losing Bloss, but just a year ago the Astros selected Tredwell ahead of him in the draft, and it was reported earlier today that Brown took Blubaugh off the table, indicating he was ahead of Bloss too.

Loperfido is a high energy versatile, great defender who has huge strikeout issues that look like they will limit his chances at stardom.

Wagner is a tweener - not really plus at any defensive position with not quite enough power or speed.

The Astros still have their top 8 prospects according to mlbpipeline.

Its an overpay but not terriblly so and we have known for weeks that it would be.

2 Likes

He did not look particularly happy to be talking about the trade.

1 Like

I got that feeling, too. He seemed sad about it.

It would not surprise me if it comes out later that Crane intervened to get this deal across the finish line.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for Kikuchi’s first start, seven innings, two runs, back of the bullpen blows the save, big fat Astros L.

3 Likes