Trade Deadline 2022

I wonder if the Yankees let Judge walk and go with the younger Soto instead.

I would. Soto may be a punk but he’s not a lying piece of shit. And he’s all around better baseball player. And he’s just 21.

The Nationals are crazy. And Soto is even more crazy for not accepting that offer. The entitled, inflated self worth some people have…

4 Likes

Maybe he wants out of Washington.

I’m worth every bit of more than $440 million. Really.

Betting on himself.

I for one can not fathom turning down that kind of offer but I don’t live in his area code.

But $450 million to him is not the same as $450 million to you or me.

And he WILL get plenty of money so neither he, nor his kids, nor his grandkids will ever have to worry about it again. So he might as well play where he wants.

Giving up both Garcia and Leon for an above average starting pitcher that is a free agent after the 2023 season is too much for me to give. I’d much rather focus on upgrading elsewhere.

2 Likes

Thats a fair opinion.

I think Castillo is an upgrade over Garcia.

The team will worry about 2024 after they focus on winning this World Series.

Leon has great promise but is still unproven and has holes that could prevent him from being a star.

Julkes and Brewer are lottery tickets

This is the price

Some fans will think they should pay and some think they shouldn’t.

I don’t think so.

1 Like

If they can pull it off and are smart this is exactly what they will do. Soto is better AND 7 years younger. I hope the Yankees are not smart or can’t get him

He probably doesn’t want to be the next Mike Trout

I ain’t opining on any of this. But my curiosity was piqued by Passan referencing that Baseball Trade Values twitter account. If you want to see the values they assign to Astros’ major and minor league players then go here. If you disagree with those values, then go argue with them.

5 playoff appearances in the last 9 years and a WS win just two years ago. Nothing about the Nats is anything like the Angels/Trout circumstance.

1 Like

True, but they have little to no talent on the big league roster and their farm system might be the worst in baseball.

The GM shared his thoughts on the lefty in the pen question…

I think the price tag for Castillo and Bell is going to be high and I don’t know if the upgrade would be worth the cost. I do think finding another OF bat should be a priority- someone who could replace Brantley, if necessary.

• Andrew Benintendi- Royals

• Brandon Drury- Reds (general utility player who can play OF with pop)

I also would like a left handed pitcher out of the bullpen.

• Matt Strahm- Red Sox

• Andrew Chafin- Tigers

• Joe Mantiply- Diamondbacks

Baseball values has Tucker as the Astros only +100 man. Alvarez in the upper 60’s. Luis Garcia is listed as our highest value pitcher. McCormick is favored over Meyers and Siri. Contract terms and age both have significant impact on value on their site.

Theoretically, the Astros could trade Garcia to Cubs for Contreras, Happ and minor league pitching prospect.

Why do you want Contreras? Where will you play him? The Astros have a catcher.

1 Like

I was using him as a hypothetical - but if I had to make the argument - Machete was uncharacteristically loose with his defense in the final week before All Star break. He’s catching too many consecutive games. Dusty clearly isn’t going to give innings to Lee. And Castro has really struggled. So … in a time share, Contreras reduces Machete’s load and brings more consistent bat.

3 Likes

I think Machete is tired. He seemed to be catching more on one knee right before the break.

1 Like