The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts said he was aware that the 2018 Boston Red Sox were using live video feeds to steal signs.

“Yeah,” Betts said Sunday per Dylan Hernández of the Los Angeles Times. “Everybody was.”

3 Likes

I’m shocked!!

1 Like

…and goes on to say “but we had MVPs, Cy Young winners… it was way different than the Astros”

Fuck Betts.

2 Likes

If only the 2017 Astros had a guy like Jose Altuve or Justin Verlander on that team…

3 Likes

And it just now dawned on me that the 2014 Tigers had five Cy Young winners on their staff.

JV, Scherzer, Ray, Price…who’s the 5th?

Porcello

I’d completely forgotten about that.

eta: then he led the AL in losses, hits and HR the next season

He somehow managed to win 22 games with…checks notes…those cheating Red Sox.

The key words to me were: “Everyone was.”

1 Like

The players all know this. Which is why their clutching at pearls for the media is hysterical.

3 Likes

Slowly but surely there are cracks in the conspiracy of silence. Bassitt was the most forthcoming.

Reddick has barked back at Dojer fans on Twitter.

Someone questioned why he thought LAD was doing the same thing:

“Because I was there!”

4 Likes

This is a good article

1 Like

The Astros were plucky little underdogs until they decided to keep kicking the living shit out of the Yankees. That was the unforgiveable part. Fuck 'em all.

8 Likes

I totally agree with you about why all hell rained down on the Astros and on no one else.

I know you do not care if the cheating story will not die. I do, though, and I hate the crap about the 2017 WS win being tainted/not counting because of “cheating.” There needs to be more and more stories like Solomon’s and more and more admissions from other players. If Drehlich’s book clearly says the camera system was a league-wide issue and problem, I will say grudgingly good for him.

What I think would be interesting is a well-researched history of sign stealing in MLB, the methods used, and the teams which used whatever technology existed to aid eyes on the field. The 1951 NY Giants immediately come to mind.

2 Likes

I have no doubt that MLB wanted this story to not only go away as quickly as possible, but to also try and keep it as isolated as possible to just the Astros. A wide spread situation would have been embarrassing for the league a la steroids. I was listening to a podcast last night where someone theorized that Manfred got to Crane and basically said I need you and the Astros to take the hit for this and in return you’ll get….something we don’t know about as yet, but hopefully it comes out at some later date, perhaps after Manfred has left the scene. I don’t know about that, but it’s an interesting take.

That theory sounds to me like ten pounds of manure in a 5 lb. bag. If that would be true…talk about Delayed Gratification. And I can’t imagine any reward that would be worth the price paid.

2 Likes

Fuck. Them. All.

6 Likes

Agreed, and I do not believe it for a second.

1 Like