The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1616630296559894533?s=20&t=I4A3-3w_hOhAfQvS8cLAhw

I think they intend t play Arraez at 2nd and move Chisholm to CF

And everything is fine in Beantown…

1 Like

Sure they’re outclassed in this category by FTY fans, but never forget what insufferable asses Boston fans are too.

I don’t want to give the massholes any credit here but it sounds like Bloom and Henry deserve some jeers the way things are going over there.

2 Likes

USA Today quotes a Marlins executive saying that. Yuli is still in play for 1b

2 Likes

FSG and Henry have more than Massholes upset with them. Liverpool supporters are besides themselves - just 6 months ago fighting for an historic quadruple (League, FA Cup, ECL Final, 2nd place in the prem) and now are a mid-table bang on average team because FSG did not compete in the transfer market at MF… And there is much talk about new ownership (internal and externally) at the club.

So, if I am Red Sox fan, which I am not (but do follow LFC), one can see the demise of the Sox as part and parcel to the changes in world financial markets (where FSG - former agra-hedge fund quants) see the future of their businesses and want to sell out while the asset prices are high.

For Red Sox fans, last place 5 out of the last 11 years may be more normal (Nomar-al) than anyone cares to consider.

Bagwell has learned Management speak. Four sentences to say nothing new.

1 Like

What that says to me is Yuli will not accept the Astros offer…yet.

1 Like

I see “if you determine there are no starting jobs out there, you’re welcome back here as a utility guy”

2 Likes

That is what I meant.

I’m a bit surprised at the uptick in Bagwell comments this offseason. Am I imagining that? I thought he was largely focused on Spring Training and the occasional broadcast cameo. Since he works for the Astros, I wonder if he has to clear his comments through Comms.

He is more than that, I think. I think he has a job in player development and as an assistant to Crane. Maybe not, but I think I read that.

2 Likes

Also, the lack of GM means that they need someone to answer questions in the mean time.

From November (may have been linked to previously)…

Hidden

After acknowledging his growing role in the franchise’s makeshift front office, Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell on Tuesday bemoaned the Astros’ reliance on analytics…

Crane sent Firkus and Bagwell to Miami to finish Abreu’s contract, the latest example of Bagwell’s increasing importance within the organization.

“I talk to Jim a lot and the new assistant GMs and so forth just to give my opinion on some of the things I see and how I see it (from) a player’s perspective and, I guess, a front-office perspective and how that all mixes together,” Bagwell said.

…but it’s clear that since Click’s departure, Bagwell wields far more influence than his current job title of community outreach executive.

“I don’t know. I do the same thing,” Bagwell said. “I bother Jim nonstop."

Bagwell’s 15-minute conversation with reporters Tuesday sounded eerily similar to a general manager’s mid-winter state of the union.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Jeff-Bagwell-James-Click-analytics-Jim-Crane-17618598.php

During today’s Fanfest, none of the three AGMs were made available to the media. Bagwell was.

Reminds me of Nolan Ryan being stood up as a spokesperson by Drayton.

Bagwell is the de facto GM at this point. I like him, but I’m a little skeptical about how much lead he seems to have.

8 Likes

Nothing he has said so far bothers me one bit. I have no knowledge of what his duties are, but I am glad he is involved with the team.

4 Likes