The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

He was employed, offered by the company to continue to be employed, and he declined. He quit.

People can take things any way that they want. If they want to be offended and mad about something, they will.

I was always taught that communication is a two way street. If the message being sent is not the one received, both parties should work to clarify it.

1 Like

It’s no secret that Crane didn’t like employing Click, and Click didn’t like working for Crane. That happens. I just don’t get why people interpret that as Crane is an egomaniacal meddler who is ruining this franchise.

1 Like

Ok. No big deal.

Because they are predisposed to support the employee over management in most every situation? In my checkered past I represented both employees and employers and learned I had to know as many facts as I could before I decided who was right on the issue.

1 Like

I think 2017 transformed Crane into a more hands-on owner determined to not repeat his apparent betrayal of information provided him as events of that time unfolded. Click and Baker were rapid hires; the latter of whom is Crane’s choice going forward. It’s Crane’s team, money, and reputation on the line, and Click can put the 2022 team on his resume and make Cole/Correa money and authority in his new venue. Crane gets the benefit of the doubt here, and there will be no shortage of suitors who are willing to inherit this dynastic program.

The interpersonal dynamics of Click and Crane’s relationship are immaterial to the goal of continuing the organization’s trajectory. Crane can renew a contract designed ultimately to fire Click, and call it quitting or however one wants to sugarcoat the time-honored practice of jettisoning an executive whom Crane considers a termination from the outset.

1 Like

The maybe good info maybe complete unconnected nobody posted today that:

JV asked Crane for 2yr $80M and he will sign.

Crane and he are working on the specifics of the 2nd year but nothing is agreed or imminent.

Oh and Crane apparently REALLY wants Abreu.

And something about trying Bryan Abreu as a starter which impacted why they brought Montero back.

I guess this may be a way to see how good his intel is.

I like the ideas re both Abreus, but I still think we need another LH hitter. How about Josh Bell also? I think Crane REALLY wanted Rizzo, and I think he would have been better in terms of youth and LH. Oh, well. Sphinx is happy.

Bryan Abreu as a starter along with Javier is something I have thought about. If he leaves the pen, bring back Stanek or promote Paredes? Maton will be back also.

2 Likes

Interesting that you post this today. I had convinced myself over the last few hours that I want Abreu more than anyone else and would like to get him in the fold asap. Some projections have him for 2 @ $40M. He’s 35 so I wouldn’t hesitate to give him a 3 year deal if that would get him to sign. You could do 2 guaranteed at $40 with a third year that vests for another $20 with some trigger.

And I’ve posted it before and so has Jim, I’d like Bell with him. They can split time between DH and first base. Sign those two and I’m good with the plus defense you get at center with Chaz and Myers, and who knows, with the extra year to develop now that he’s hopefully healthy, Jake could surprise.

1 Like

I agree the team needs another lefty bat.

From what I read Brantley’s health may not be fully known until spring training.

If they sugn Abreu:

I guess Nimmo and Conforto are out there if they are looking for a non- 1B.

Or Diamond Backs have acknowledged that Varsho is available in the right deal.

I’m hesitant to mess with success with Abreu, but facts are facts. If you can turn him into a successful SP then he becomes more valuable and this gives the club more flexibility to move a current starter in a trade for other needs.

Oh, and one more thing about this if accurate. I hope Firkus read those reports about Crane telling Click to “go get Liam Hendricks.” If Crane has told him the same about Abreu, I’d do it if I were him! LOL

I think both Abreu and Bell would make this a mobster lineup.

I understand they are still looking at Yuli aa a bench player which may collapse if both ofvthem are signed.

Edit: I meant " monster" but mobster could fit too. Not the most observant typist.

I’m good with Yuli over Diaz as a utility player.

Apparently

Urshella to Angels

Forgot about Brantley. If he is healthy, I would like him back.

Today MLB radio was talking about ARZ picking up OF Kyle Lewis from SEA (RH bat) and speculated that the deal might allow them to deal “one of their many left handed hitting OFs”. Remember Walt bringing up a few guys with ARZ he thought would be a good fit towards the beginning of The Void.

Apparently Arizina is saying Corbin Carroll is off limits but any other OF on thrier roster is avail in the right deal.

Carroll is a 21 yr old pure CF. Their #1 prospect .730 OPS in 115PA ( 15 extra base hits ) in his cup of coffee.
Scouting grades: Hit: 65 | Power: 50 | Run: 70 | Arm: 55 | Field: 60 | Overall: 65

They are (over)loaded with LH hitting.

Varsho is 25 LH exceptional fielding CF who also catches. 109 OPS+ this year 27 HR and 16 SB strikes out more than 3× more than he walks but would be a great addition to the bottom of the lineup. 4.9 bWAR.

Mlbtraderumors.com projects him to make $2.8M in his super 2 year of arbitration ( 4 years of control)

Alek Thomas 22 yr old highly regarded true CF ( pushed Varsho to RF) fewer walks and fewer Ks. Not as successful in 1st year (17 dbl, 1 trpl, 8hr) .231 avg .619OPS in 411 PA. 1.4 bWAR.

Jake McCarthy 24 yr old LH (25%LF, 25% CF, 50% RF) solid rookie season. (16dbl, 3trpl, 8hr) .283avg, .769OPS 118 OPS+ in 354 PA. 2.4 bWAR.

They also have 26 yr old Pavin Smith a LH corner OF who profiles to be more of a 3 outcomes guy.

Stone Garritt 26 yr old RH who got a cup of coffee and hit = 12 extra base hits .848 OPS in 84 PA but I don’t know which OF positions he is best suited for.

He’s got a little pop and had 23 steals while getting caught only 3 times. He had a good 2nd half of the year.