The Void: 2021-22 Off-season

Unless they’ve already got a deal ready to sign, looks that way.

I read that they might extend this courtesy to Kershaw to not depress his market if he chooses to leave

I asked the question in a prior offseason:

What’s the downside of making a QO?

The answer:
The player might accept it.

1 Like

When is the deadline for players to accept or reject the QO??

Edit: I see the deadline is 11/17/21

They could negotiate something for 2023, but Verlander would be playing on a one year, $18.4M contract in 2022.

1 Like

It would be tough, but if Kate clips a few coupons and Justin drives for Uber in the offseason, they might just make ends meet.

Saw something from some talking head predicting Verlander (and Scherzer) to the Giants. Not sure where they come in for him, but there will be bidding.

Honestly, I’ve turned the page on both Correa and Verlander and I’m looking forward to the changes and what they could be. There are some interesting and exciting options potentially out there. Sure, I’d like to be pleasantly surprised by the Astros keeping one of both of them, but until that news breaks, I’m looking to the future.

3 Likes

A few months ago, I thought this would feel different than Springer last year.

But it doesn’t

This is the price of success. I wish Springer would have stayed, and I hope Correa does. But it doesn’t bring me down. What did was trading Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman. Not because I would miss them as players, but because I knew what it represented…a very long, frustrating re-building process. If Correa signs elsewhere, I hope the Astros find a suitable replacement and he strikes out every time he faces the Astros. But no hard feelings.

3 Likes

I don’t think any of us anticipated the depths to which they would fall.

Or the heights they would climb.

1 Like

As one who has been around since 1962, the former was more anticipated than the latter.

4 Likes

Except for the part where the Astros actually tried to negotiate with Correa in Spring Training, and an offer they made Correa last week got leaked to the media. Then, Channel 2’s Sports Director Randy McIlvoy shared information he heard on Twitter about a larger potential offer (6 years, 210M). Neither happened with Springer.

Correa may not stay, but Springer didn’t seem interested in seriously negotiating with the team last year. Correa has to this point.

I just don’t know what you expected. Unless Crane offered the 10-year deal Correa wanted right after the season, this negotiation was always going to go into free agency.

Seemed to me it was vice versa.

3 Likes

You are correct. By Spring Training last year, Springer was frustrated that the team (Luhnow before he was fired) didn’t seem interested in discussing an extension with him.

1 Like

If Correa goes to the highest bidder, and especially if it is NYY, I will be grateful for his time as an Astro, and I always will compliment his play, but he’ll be as dead to me as Springer is. The Astros made him a legitimate offer, and that is all I wanted from Crane.

ETA: WTF? The sentences in my original post were scrambled. Not sure what happened.

5 Likes

What’s the compensation if a player (e.g., Verlander) declines the QO and signs elsewhere?

Some kind of draft choice, I think. Do not know how high.

If Correa and/or Verlander sign with a different team this offseason, the Astros will receive Draft pick compensation from the signing teams with a pick after Competitive Balance Round B in the 2022 Draft. Source below:

So those picks would be in the range of 70th overall?

1 Like