The sci-fi TV thread

146-year-old Ed Baldwin on the moons of Proxima Centauri b, sure, sign me up.

4 Likes

Daniel Stern is joining the show? Is there going to be a Christmas episode?

Ed’s grandson is accidentally left at the Mars base and forced to improvise defenses against Russian Daniel Stern.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the plot of City Slickers 3?

That’s when Ed and Danny get into a huge fight because Ed still cannot program the VCR.

All I have left is the extended version of Daybreak Pts 1 & 2. Just an absolutely stunning show. You’re right about the later seasons - Season 4 is so fucking intense. The metaphysical aspect is much less jarring watching in binge-mode, especially when you know it’s coming, because you can see them setting it up from the beginning.

I watched “Razor” before starting Season 4 and I will watch “The Plan” once I’ve finished the series. Supposedly you’re supposed to watch “The Plan” between Eps 15 and 16 of S4, which is when the season takes a beat after the insurrection and before the plunge into the endgame, but I just plowed through.

The production design is incredible and the SFX for a 20-year old show is fantastic. They use a bit more CGI in later series - that 2000s era shitty CGI that George Lucas saw fit to smear all over the Academy Award-winning SFX of the original trilogy (but I digress) - and that has held up far worse than the practical effects used earlier in the series. The Galactica sets and props, along with the Vipers and Raptors, are iconic.

And a shout out again to the space battles in this show. Ignoring the plot armor that they built the Galactica with, these set pieces are as good as you’ll see in many contemporary movies. Apollo looking down on the destruction of the Resurrection Ship, as Galactica and Pegasus engage the base ships with broadsides from their guns like a naval battle of yore is still one of the best things you’ll see in this regard.

1 Like

Are these individual or stand alone shows or movies or something?

Not only that, but the show made Star Trek Voyager (which ended only a couple of years prior) and Enterprise (which ran concurrently with the BSG miniseries and S1) look so dated. Granted, the visual languages were very different, but that era of Star Trek didn’t evolve a whole lot from when TNG premiered in 1987. That BSG looked so good then, and still looks so good now, is a really impressive feat.

2 Likes

Bodies, on Netflix, will appeal to any fans of the German series, DarK.

1 Like

“Daybreak” is the finale of the entire show, and it was broadcast as two “1 hour” episodes - i.e. about 45 mins each. On the Blu Ray release, it’s combined into one episode as a kind of director’s cut as it is extended to a 2 1/2 hour run time.

“Razor” and “The Plan” are standalone movies that were made after the show’s run had ended. “Razor” is the backstory of the Battlestar Pegasus as seen through the eyes of a naïve young lieutenant who Admiral Cain hones into a ruthless weapon - a “razor”. “The Plan” is the goings on of the first two seasons as seen from the perspective of the Cylons.

Re: Pegasus, I love the scene where she shows up out of the blue. This is towards the end of Season 2, so Galactica has gone through the ringer on her own defending the rag tag fleet of humans, and then this happens…

Yeah. BSG did for TV ScFi what Alien did for movie ScFi. Although, with all the shakeycam going on, maybe a Bond/Bourne comparison is more apt.

BSG also tried to be more true to actual space physics. Not as thoroughly as The Expanse, but the Vipers and Raptors maneuver in zero-g using an array of thrusters around the hull - like the Harrier “jump jet” does in real life - rather than “flying” through space. Just don’t ask about any of the other ships, especially the base stars.

That drives me crazy. It makes some of the shows from 15+ years ago almost unwatchable to me. It gives me an actual headache as my eyes try to “stabilize” the picture.

There’s a great clip on youtube from a Liam Neeson movie of all of the action fast editing

1 Like

I believe it’s something like 21 cuts to have him get his 70-year old ass over a fence while trying to make it look dynamic.

ETA: Here ya go!

1 Like

Taken 3, The Tookening

2 Likes

Now post the clip of Seagal running

1 Like
2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t help not thinking about this:

2 Likes

I think Thunderstruck is my favorite