The sci-fi TV thread

How did I make it 56 years without ever having heard Steve N Seagulls? Greatness.

1 Like

You live a sheltered life up there in Canada or wherever.

1 Like

Sith is my favorite of the Original Six.

I love stuff like this. I always remember when the Pet Shop Boys were asked why they covered “Where the Streets Have No Name”, and they said it was to point out to everyone that it was just a pop song.

I hate covers when bands just mimic the original. Make it different, make it yours.

The Gourds do a great bluegrass cover of Gin and Juice. I also like this one:

1 Like

The Punch Brothers (another bluegrass group) did some interesting Radiohead covers.

1 Like

That opening sequence is mind-boggling class in every way- I’ve made countless references to it over the years, every time to the complete bewilderment of the person(s) who set up the reset.

2 Likes

I realize this is a "TV (series) " thread, but …

Coming out of the writers’ strike with scant content, spending some time with my youngest son who loves sci-fi dystopia, digging hard for content, here are some watchable movies you might enjoy:

Prometheus (2012, yes, but we missed it somehow)
and
Platform (2019, truly amazing)
and
Captive State (2019)
Lapsis (2020)
Paradise (2023)

Also, while perhaps not Sci-Fi, per se, “Saw X” (2023) is absolutely incredible.

Prometheus is a deeply shitty movie.

2 Likes

Ah… circulated on Napster and a host of university intranets labeled as a Phish track, circa 1999… as we unwittingly infected our PC’s with digital AIDS.

Worst sci-fi movie i’ve ever seen

1 Like

Prometheus will be Exhibit A when they debate imposing a statute of limitations on revisiting successful franchises. Exhibits B and C will be Star Wars Episodes I and VII.

Prometheus makes Ep I look like Blade Runner

1 Like

Apparently BG is no longer on Peacock.

I don’t know if I’ve ever been more disappointed with a movie. I’ve seen worse movies, but none that I had such high expectations for. Almost walked out of the theater.

1 Like

It would have been better if it had nothing to do with the Alien franchise.

1 Like

well…because it really didn’t?

1 Like

Not by much. It made 6th grade essays on religious allegory look both subtle and intelligent.

1 Like

I just finished the BSG miniseries.

1. What a setup for a series.
  2. I know Tricia Helfer and Katie Sackhoff got all the attention, but dam Grace Park steals it.
1 Like

After the reveal of #8, how could you not watch the show?

And then S1 E1 is “33”, which is an absolute banger.