The sci-fi TV thread

The bleak, awful conditions the show is building on really is a nice way to push the canon of this part of Star Wars into perspective.

I’ve really enjoyed the storytelling and acting in Andor so far, and the backfilling of Mon Mothma’s story is amazing.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be Star Wars without some galactic politics.

Holy. Fucking. Hell. Episode 10 of Andor is absolutely fucking epic television.

Can’t wait to see it later tonight.

I’ll add here: The music score by Nicholas Britell is brilliant. Nearly Williams brilliant. If you (the collective you) want a great snapshot, watch the last 4 minutes of Ep. 3 as the characters consider the results of their actions. Movie-making sound scoring at its best.

1 Like

Probably the best composer to hit the film/tv scene in the past decade. I’m convinced that his score is the real reason people enjoy Succession (even if they don’t know it themselves).

1 Like

That was amazing.

Mild Spoiler

The jail break was brilliant, but Luthen’s speech…wow! The script and the acting in this show has been a revelation.

The scene with Mothma was something that - if Tarantino had done it - would be studied in film school for decades. Everything was in plain language but also completely in code.

1 Like

All I could think heading toward the end of the episode was “how the fuck are you going to top that?”

And they did, amazingly.

1 Like

Here’s a fun and interesting discussion of the episode - riddled with spoilers.

Some of his analogies are a little spurious, but his overall analysis is spot on.

How self-contained is the Andor series? Are there other things that ought to be seen first?

Honestly, as long as you’re overall Star Wars fluent, you should be fine.

Aside from some implications and insights in to characters from the later stories, it’s pretty self contained.

Off the top of my head, the only characters who have appeared previously are Andor and Mon Mothma. But, as you’re seeing both on the timeline from before their previous appearances, there is no relevant backstory needed.

As Mark said, if you’re familiar with Star Wars on a basic level - like there’s an evil empire and people who don’t like it basic level - then you’re good to go.

Ok, thanks. I finished Slow Horses the other night, and I’m looking for my next watch.

1 Like

So clearly Rian Johnson didn’t direct Andor.

1 Like

[Korg Voice] Oh. We don’t say that name around here.

1 Like

Andor Ep11

Spoiler

So. Luthen. He’s a Jedi, right? That’s a wooden light sabre he had, and the escape from the imperial patrol was awesome.

Spoiler Response

It certainly looked like a lightsaber. But he’s also a collector of Jedi and Sith paraphernalia as we’ve seen a bunch previously in the shop, so it wouldn’t be beyond crazy to think he might have an old lightsaber or some other Jedi/Sith tech he carries for protection/intimidation.

2 Likes

I’v enjoyed looking closely at the artifacts in the store. In Episode 11, prominently displayed in a corner was a gungan personal energy shield:

Cool nuggets in an otherwise already awesome show.

1 Like

It wasn’t a big “event” episode but I thought it was fantastic. So many moments emblematic of the little things the show does so well.

Still in awe that this spinoff of a spinoff is the best on-screen Star Wars since… 1983?

2 Likes

I watched the space scene in episode 11 like 5 times. So much to see there from a special effects standpoint and the script and acting are impeccable.

3 Likes

Fyi there is a post-credits scene in the finale of Andor

1 Like