The sci-fi TV thread

Tatiana Maslany is really good in She Hulk

2 Likes

Bravo, sir. Well done.

1 Like

Upon finishing S2:

Don’t get me wrong - I loved it, and those last two episodes were breathtaking. But:

Summary

Why on earth were Gordo and Sam ready to fight over Tracy? The writers had pretty much assassinated her character in the first half of the season.

And how did we go so quickly from Karen “we are the Baldwins!” to Karen “I’ll fuck my friend’s son”?

1 Like

Sandman was really good. Great casting. They changed a few things from the comics but overall very enjoyable. “The Sound of Her Wings” episode was a particular standout. Death was my favorite character from the comics.

Oh, and if you watched it straight through a couple weeks ago and hadn’t checked back in, they added a bonus episode 11 last week that is a standalone.

1 Like
Spoiler

Q: And how did we go so quickly from Karen “we are the Baldwins!” to Karen “I’ll fuck my friend’s son”?

A: Revealed in S3.

The main plotlines are fascinating and well worth watching the series for. But the character development is so fucking shitty. I’ve now finished all of season 3 and was able to get through it quickly due to fast forwarding through most conversations involving any two of the main characters. I’ll be back for season 4 but man I hope the writing (finally) improves.

1 Like
Spoiler

Life cums comes at you fast

That’s a great version of “Don’t Be Cruel” that they were dancing to, though.

Lower Decks is back and as great as ever.

What about it is great?

Very funny and often crude while still being proper Trek.

1 Like

Artemis launches in two hours, and I’m excited to see it.

They scrubbed the launch. Try again on Friday.

1 Like

Apparently today was something of a dress rehearsal, but they would’ve launched had everything gone swimmingly. It didn’t.

Is a hydrogen leak really that important???

2 Likes

Oh, the huge manatees!

1 Like

Elon Musk watched Thunderbirds as a kid. Guaranteed.

…and then claimed he created it

2 Likes

The Rings of Power is promising. It’s a little slow, but the story is intriguing with some interesting characters. The production values are off the charts - you can see where the money went that they’ve reportedly spent on this thing.

I have zero knowledge of the 1st and 2nd Age lore, so I have no idea as to the faithfulness of this to the source materials.

Spoiler

The Stranger has to be Gandalf, right?

Just finished FAM Season 2

Spoilers/Nerd Stuff

First, I really like it. I’m sure I’ll get season 3 done over the next few days.

The acting is very good. Effects are pretty good. It is shot well and pacing feels about right. I find Margo compelling and I liked director Payne. The FBI investigator was sadly believable. Tracy and Gordo’s demise was poignant. Ellen (and Larry’s) double life is also well done/worth telling.

The problems listed below are not deal breakers but they do/ did make my eyes twitch. No particular order.

1. The scene when Gordo races to the fire worried about Tracy was manipulative bullshit. He’s intercepted by Ed in full gotta hold you back you can’t see this buddy mode. Then Tracy pops up to the right. Didn’t think to say “Hey Gordo Tracy’s ok pal. See? She’s right over there. Say hi Tracy.”
  2. Tracy sucked in training. Molly sucked at training (both a AssCan and prior to Jamestown). Gordo was an obvious mess in training. Yet they all flew. Because… I’m the head of the astronaut office and I alone decide who flies? -Deke/Ed. But no worries because despite poor performance on earth they all proved their mettle in space. I’m glad they did and I was certainly pulling for them but that’s not how it works.
  3. So . . . A moonbase, a (new) shuttle to the moon, and an Apollo mission all going at the same time, all being managed by the same half dozen figures at the same mission control center. Riiight.
  4. Gene Kranz would never have been on the gantry minutes from launch. Nor would he have had any business crawling into the rocket and prying the “we came in peace” plaque off the lunar lander.
  5. Ditto Kranz being there to get incinerated.
  6. They would not use glass for anything. Including the ant farm.
  7. The Russians claimjump the lithium site. They bug the base. We take the mining site back. With armed astronauts. We shoot 2 cosmonauts. Yet the Russians literally walk right up to the base and shoot out a window. No perimeter security at all.
  8. I’m glad the world didn’t end. But the idea that the Soyuz-Apollo handshake inspired Reagan is nonsense.
  9. Speaking of that, the initial briefing Margo refers to cosmonauts as astronauts, offending the Russians. No fucking way any NASA official makes that blunder. I know it served its purpose as a plot device but still.
  10. Tracy: why am I supposed to care for her in season 2? They wrote her into into a vapid mess of a character. She shirked her training. Her behavior on Jamestown was terrible. Why was Gordo supposed to fall for her again?
  11. Karen: Ed’s Naval academy breakdown one night followed by Ed you need to fly again to Ed I can’t believe you almost died I’m gonna go sleep with my dead son’s best friend. What. The. Fuck. These actors are killing it but good grief their characters’ arcs seem to be passed thru a randomizer from scene to scene. Her season 1 performance/writing was so good though.

There’s more but that’s more than enough for now. Despite the above I do like the show.

2 Likes