The sci-fi TV thread

I really like it and am finished with S3E3, but I will say that while 1-9 were nitpicks for me, 10 and 11 were major problems.

1 Like

I’m watching Disney’s documentary about ILM. I’m two episodes in - covering just the making of Star Wars - and it’s really good. The innovation was incredible. Just a bunch of nerds, nerding out on figuring out how to do things never done before.

It’s a bit frustrating when Lucas is on screen, though. Partly because it’s just an ego-stroke for him, but mostly because a lot of the amazing, groundbreaking, Oscar-winning work these guys did will get shit all over and literally destroyed by Lucas later on.

If there are episodes about the special editions, I’m going to skip those.

Also, it would’ve been a giant heap of Bantha shit had Marcia Lucas not saved it in the editing room.

There’s a show on Netflix called The Toys that Made Us. One episode is about Kenner and Star Wars.

Definitely worth a watch for any Star Wars fans of a certain age.

2 Likes

10 and 11 are strong agrees for me as well and yes 2 also drove me batty.

My quibbles/complaints above are likely heightened by 1)binging and 2) the emotional conclusion of season 2.

Looking forward to S3.

Here’s my take on the characterization in FAM: the show is very BSG-esque in that it isn’t afraid to show that its characters have flaws, or have them behave irrationally. That is especially true of Ed and Karen and the decisions that each of them make. If Karen is the heart of the show (although she is demonstrably capable of not being so one-dimensional), then Ed is the show’s schlong. That doesn’t really stop in season 3.

That said, I also prefer S1 Karen over S2 Karen.

Spoiler

The easy, albeit unsatisfying, answer here is that there are more mission control centers in use, they just aren’t shown on camera.

S1 Karen and S1 Tracy have clearly defined character arcs that pay off in sensible ways - although Karen’s resolution to that arc is revealed in S2E1.

The S2 versions of them abandon everything from S1. They might as well be new characters.

1 Like

Somewhat off topic, this is kind of how I feel about the first few episodes of The Orville S3. Same actors, same character names, but nothing else about them is the same.

1 Like

West Wing S5 defined this category.

I binged up on S1 and S2 of The Orville, and enjoyed them. I have stopped watching S3 - it’s a different show entirely.

I quit after S3E3. My friend says it returns more to form after that, but I can’t bring myself to try again. It’s like they let all of the “Orville is better Star Trek than Star Trek” editorials go to their head.

1 Like

Is that the one where they introduced their own version of Q? If so, then me too.

Can’t be, but I don’t know how to post a spoiler to explain!

1 Like

I don’t even remember. It was that forgettable.

1 Like

Click the gear icon in the editor toolbar, then click “Hide Details”.

1 Like

Learn something new every day, thanks Waldo.
Anyway

Spoiler Answer

The wizards weren’t sent to Middle Earth until the beginning of the Third Age so they weren’t around when the Rings were forged.

I worry they’re just retconning it.

I haven’t watched it yet but that would seriously suck. I’m thinking of going into it with an open mind, treating it like a story I’m familiar with but don’t know everything about, if that makes sense. I’m hoping i can watch it without my blood pressure going up.

“Evil does not sleep, Elrond. It waits.”

I didn’t know that the Lord of the Rings spin-off was about the Dodgers.

2 Likes

Finished the show. It runs through the timeline from Star Wars, through Indiana Jones and ET, to T2, Jurassic Park and the prequels, to the MCU and The Mandalorian.

Fascinating stuff, and completely Jar-Jar / Special Edition free.