The Pitching

JV seems like the perfect candidate to spend $100M over 2 seasons.

Garcia, please. Not Urquidy.

8 Likes

Ditto. I think that Urquidy has real top of rotation potential. He’s got aggressiveness, confidence, control and big game experience.

2 Likes

I’m all for it if they have an extra $100MM laying around after they get a catcher, a first baseman and a centerfielder and they reup Diaz.

I don’t want Urquidy traded. I would be ok either way with Garcia

But those are the 2 options I think.

Yeah they’d have to be willing to cross the tax threshold.

And my expectations are that someone else will pony up more $ and more years.

Reup Mancini too. He plays first base.

3 Likes

I would really like to see Brown called up next week. Alternatively Martinez would sure help too, but I think Brown has a better chance of being a weapon in the postseason, if we get there.

I don’t have any actual insight into this, but I maintained prior to the last contract and continue to believe that Crane and Verlander have a very good relationship with lots of mutual appreciation and respect. They like working with each other and Crane will make sure the money is there and JV will be more flexible on the other terms than he would be with the few other teams he’s willing to play with. That relationship exists above Click’s suite.

3 Likes

Hunter Brown and possibly the new and improved Forrest Whitley will figure in here somewhere. And absolutely bring back Mancini. Perfect bat for this lineup.

There is nothing in his history that suggests Whitley will ever contribute anything to the Astros.

1 Like

This is fucking crazy. Way more than usual crazy unless you mean next year. If you mean this year, it is absurd.

I think we missed our opportunity in trading Whitley a few years back. I’m afraid that might be the only value that he might have given us.

He may break out and have a great 10-year career with the Astros. But at this point, I’d be surprised if he does, not if he doesn’t.

Certain generational players that defy aging norms at the end of their career are worth deviating from the “plan”. Ryan would have been worth it. Clemens was one. JV is as well. They generate enough AIS to justify pretty much any salary and the negative AIS if not resigned is just not worth it.

2 Likes

I really like Mancini and hope he’s back next year.

I’m all for Verlander being a permanent Astro.

4 Likes

If the Astros are playing in October/November and Verlander holds up well, I’d write him a blank check.

4 Likes

What if he writes in ONE MEEEELLION DOLLARS?

1 Like

How likely is it that Gurrriel will be back next year?