The opening farewell

I’ll assume that comment was directed at me since I said paying Correa $30M a year was not to MY liking. I don’t know what the fuck you read, but never in my post did I condemn or come down on management for a decision either way. Management will do whatever the hell they want to do. And as a fan, I will either like it or not like it, but I can have an opinion about it.

2 Likes

The 2022 FA class. There are quality players; not Correa level, but our daily lineup withstood the losses of prime FAs in each of the last two years. As Charles De Gaulle said, “Graveyards are full of indispensable people.”

Correa’s salaries 2016-2021 $26,741,700

Brandon Crawford signed a 6 yr $75 mil contract 2016-2021 AT AGE 29.

Correa: 653g 386r 111hr 421rbi 29.3bWAR

Playoffs: 57g 25r 15hr 46rbi

Crawford: 789g 351r 83hr 382rbi 16.0 bWAR

Playoffs: 5g 3r 0hr 1rbi

The team and fans love Crawford and while he didn’t do as well most years of his contract as he did prior to it, the front office was happy enough to give him a Michael Brantley extension ( 2yr $32mil) for 22 and 23.

My point:

Correa has already “earned” much more than he has been paid if you consider what the team has pocketed from his performance. This is standard baseball.

If you consider 1 WAR is worth between $4mil-$8mil depending on what source you use, he has “earned” at least $93 million more than he has been paid.

Crane can pay him $300 mil over 10 years and will very likely still make a profit over the course of Correa’s 16 years.

I know that’s not how business works. You can not pay a new contract based off of old results.

However, these are people and they play their first 6 years at a discount because once they hit free agency they are free to sign for any team at the amount they have shown they are worth.

Using them cheaply during their prime and then refusing to pay them what they are worth when they finally earn control over their careers because they are no longer young or will age later in the contract is what happens.

But that does not make it right.

1 Like

I do not want correa to leave. I would think signing him without a no trade clause, could possibly be in our benefit. We don’t have to keep him 10 years if he is a tradeable. I am pretty high on Pena, an exceptional defender and has had a pretty decent bat. 3 home runs in one game, but that also skews his slugging % a bit. He didn’t get a full season, but he performed very well when in AAA. All prospects are suspect growing through the system. I remember James Mouton having a great many moons ago…home runs, avg and stolen bases. Never made the show. How can you not love what Correa has brought to the team, but finances are finances. It is a team, and the team must have a workable game plan.

The team has made EXTRA millions upon millions of dollars the past several years by making the playoffs.

If Click wants to, he can sign Correa to a 10 yr $300 mil contract. If Carlos is even league average over those 10 years then the team has made money from 2016- 2031.

I think there is a deal that works for Cluck and Correa.

It includes opt outs and options.

No trade clause won’t be necessary because in less than 3 1/2 yrs Correa gets that with 5 and 10.

Come on Click, use that Ivy league education, get creative and make an offer that he can’t refuse.

I have to disagree on this, especially with performance. Yes he has been great in the playoffs and has been a great leader. Doing well in the playoffs is great too. But you have to make it there first, which requires production and durability. Before 2021, Carlos had not played more than 110 games since 2016 when he was in 153. He was on a great pace in 2017 until he got injured and missed significant time. He missed significant time the next two years. He missed 14 games this year when he was healthy. Though I’m sure you can contribute some of the games he missed this year due to the times we are in as far as covid.

2017: .315 avg 84 rbi 82 runs scored 109 games played
2018: .239 avg 65 rbi 60 runs scored 110 games played
2019: .279 avg 59 rbi 42 runs scored 75 games played

If you are going to throw down $300 million dollars over the next 10 years you would hope that he has better production than those 3 years. He played well this year. We’ll see what happens in the playoffs. I would love to see 2021 or 2017 (when healthy) Carlos around for the next 10 years.

I want Correa to stay, and I do not give a fuck what Crane does with his money. If he has to overpay or to give a longer contract than the norm to keep Correa, he should do it. Correa is the leader of this team and is much more to the organization and to the Houston community than mere baseball numbers.

8 Likes

Magic 8 Ball Says: Ask Again Later

We should also keep in mind his defense is better than anything we’ll likely see again in an Astros uniform in our lifetime.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far. He’s an excellent defender now but hardly generational. AE was probably better at SS even without the rocket arm.

2 Likes

Oh, man, I usually agree with you, but not on this. A rocket arm is very much a part of what makes his defense special.

1 Like

If you saw Yuli’s postgame interview after getting the game winning hit yesterday, he mentioned talking to Crane (who walked by during the interview) about keeping Correa. Correa was also voted team MVP, and in a recent Athletic article, there was a quote saying he is the team’s leader and they wouldn’t be where they are this season without him. He also was instrumental in convincing Marwin to return after he was released in Boston.

27-year-old players that are the complete package and want to remain in Houston long term like Correa do not grow on trees. Correa was the guy that had the balls to tell the world that the Astros were a great team regardless of the sign-stealing scandal and to get over it. He is routinely involved in meetings at the mound and has been credited with helping calm down young pitchers. He’s a great hitter, fielder, strong baserunner and a very good clutch performer. Finally, he’s the face of this franchise alongside Jose Altuve, and these aren’t Drayton McLane’s Astros anymore. The money is there, and Crane needs to spend it.

Also, Jim Crane needs to get over his rumored policy of not offering contracts of more than 6 years in length. Give Correa a 7 or 8 year deal in the 200-250M range and get it done. Crane has done a lot to build up goodwill among Astros’ fans, but if he lets Carlos Correa leave after not keeping Springer last year, he will piss away a lot of it.

If Carlos Correa is not in an Astros’ uniform next season, I will not be happy.

7 Likes

A rocket arm that hits the target.

4 Likes

That can’t be over stated.

Tim Redding’s feelings are hurt

3 Likes

Want me to hurt Jason Lane’s next?

2 Likes

For me it’s just the fact that he’s the total package.

One or two dimensional players are a dime a dozen.

But Correa does everything at league average or better

And is exceptional at several things - fielding, throwing, run producing, leadership, etc.

1 Like

Jeremy Pena may end up replacing Correa on the roster at as starting shortstop.

There is zero chance he can replace all that Correa provides. At least right away.

And very small chance he does 4 to 6 years from now.

2 Likes

I know what’s been said in public, but we don’t know if this is the case or not.

I doubt he is a liar.

3 Likes