Texans 2021

SD calling a timeout with 40 seconds left was FAR more questionable. LV was playing to run out the clock, why are you trying to stop it?

Eh…ah…eh…maybe. LV had to run another play, and everyone knew they were going to run the ball there, no matter what. And they did. Staley said he after the game, he knew they were going to run there, he was trying to get the right defensive alignment in there to stop them and force them into either a longer field goal, or let the clock expire. They just didn’t stop the run, even when they knew what was coming. But it’s not like LV could have run the clock out there without the timeout. They had to run another play.

Timeout with 40 seconds left. LV waits until under 25 to snap. Maybe they kneel, maybe they still kick the FG, but SD gains no advantage with the TO. They’ve run the entire drive, how can you not be in alignment for another run?

It rhymes with mad poaching.

There was 4 seconds left on the play clock at 38 on the game clock. LV had to run another play. You’re presuming that LV was content to simply take a knee and settle for the tie, but then why didn’t they do that after the time out? They could have taken a knee after the timeout, and ended the game. But they didn’t, they ran another play to try to get in better field goal position. You can argue that LA should have had the right personnel on the field before the timeout, but I don’t buy the argument that LV was trying to run the clock out. They had two opportunities to simply take a knee and end the game, and they didn’t on either. They greatly (IMO) improved their playoff seeding by winning the game rather than settling for the tie, and I think it’s obvious they wanted to win it.

Coach fired today.

Firing your coach after one year is something every healthy organization does.

If you thought Culley was the one to guide this team to improvement, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Not at all. Just goes to show how they screwed up the hiring and nothing has changed to make me think they’ll do better with the next one.

Culley was hired because in the midst of the shit storm they had to list someone as head coach. He was always a “just don’t make this situation any worse by assaulting your players and getting caught with hookers while we figure this out” hire. No one seriously thought he was a solution. They have to get get better. They cannot get better or ever become a healthy organization with David Culley as head coach. It’s simply not possible. Keeping him would have been far more indicative of a clueless front office than firing him.

It’s like punting on 3rd down. Eh? Oh.

1 Like

Culley is not Urban Meyer, and the Texans are a better organization for it. But he’s not exactly an X’s and O’s guy either.

Culley gets paid through 2025, so he has a good deal.

The Texans should certainly thanks the Jaguars for creating a bigger shitshow as a distraction.

The Texans had a talent deficit, and it showed, but in no way would I describe this past season as a shit show. You could even argue they were overachievers.

I’d argue that. Other than a few games, they played decent football, better than I expected given my opinion of their talent level.

Not defending Colley but their problems are much greater than who the head coach is. It’s gonna take at least four more years to undo the damage BOB as GM rendered.

Which will never happen under current ownership.

1 Like

True. They have to upgrade at at least 20 positions. But they also have to upgrade the head coach and OC. What they had simply wasn’t going to work. This is one in a long line of moves that have to be made.

They need to upgrade the owner.

2 Likes