Table Games can = time well spent with your kids & grandkids!

My friends and I actually played this.

1 Like

The Game of Grift

4 Likes

Re: Stock Market - COOL!!! I’ll try it!

Re: Trump (the Game) - I played it. 90% win-loss pct. 3.5 stars.

Do you like Dune (the boardgame)?

Never played that one

1 Like

Re: Dune boardgames - 2 people (or more).

FYI we played the Stock Market boardgame yesterday and had a blast.

Pulled from bottom of a stack on the shelf and played it for first time in years.

There are 8 different companies that you buy and sell stocks for and prices go up or down based on the squares you land on.

Among the 8 companies are Woolworths and American Motors.

1 Like

My wife and I have a block print that we bought in our 20’s. It’s a collection of the iconic corporate logos of the time, but instead of being printed they’re embossed on cream paper; it’s very arresting, at least to me. However, the logos haven’t aged well. Some of the logos aren’t being used anymore (e.g., the old UPS shield, the MetLife quad “M”, Litton Industries), and some of the companies are gone (Ma Bell, Celanese Fortrel). Anyway, it’s an interesting picture of an earlier time.

4 Likes

My parents taught me and my brother games like rook and scrabble when we were between 8-10ish. They wanted to play and needed us to learn. As we got older we played Pit, Trivial Pursuit, Boggle, and other games. We always were pulling out some game to play.

Our kids enjoyed Rummikub, Sequence, and plenty of card based games.

Our kids are now introducing us to new games like Code Names
My wife and I used to play board and card games regularly before kids, we need to get back into that routine now that the nest is empty.

3 Likes

My wife and I enjoy playing Code Names with the adult kids when they visit.

3 Likes

Another game my wife and I enoy is a card game called Play Nine.

Its a card game that has little to nothing to do with golf except trying to get the lowest score.

We like it anyway though.

I love Codenames. Really entertaining for a group, without a whole ton of rules to learn.

2 Likes

My son’s birthday is Friday and I bought Sorry! and The Grape Escape. I hope these hold some allure because Candyland has been a bust.

I might just have to go straight to Texas Hold 'Em.

4 Likes

Even small children quickly find Candyland to be tedious and frustrating because the players are nothing more than robots used to move the pieces about. Even toddlers want to have some sort of decision to make beyond just “should I flip the table?”.

1 Like

Is Othello still available? I loved that game. And Chinese checkers.

Mrs. Hawk and I have a monthly game night with the same folks in our gourmet club. It’s mostly card games and an excuse to drink, but we occasionally play other things like dominoes or rummikub.

And the best drinking game is Cards Against Humanity, though it’s probably not appropriate to play with the grandkids.

4 Likes

My wife used blackjack to teach our kids to do their math facts quickly. It worked!

4 Likes

I have only played it once, but I thought it was hilarious!

1 Like

The really old late 80s Dune? If so, I have a friend who still has a copy and plays it sometimes. I recall it was about as complicated as the books were! But lots of fun.

1 Like

My eight-year-old daughter loves playing Grape Escape at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Her favorite part is getting to be the designated grape destroyer in the game. Whether the grape is to be cut, smashed, rolled, or sawed in half, she loves getting to mess up someone’s character. She also likes rebuilding the grapes.

I can imagine Daniel might enjoy that, too. As for Sorry, he probably will like sending other players pawns home and the slide feature.

This is the one I was talking about, Tom:
You should play the long-lost Dune board game, now back in print - Polygon

2 Likes