Spring Training 2024

Has anybody used the word “discomfort” to describe France’s condition?

Nope. Nor JV either.

Regular Early Spring arm pain, I says.

2 Likes

“We’re doomed!”

• C3P0
2 Likes

“I’m not worried about the window. I made a statement the other day that as long as I’m here the window’s open. So I’ve got to live up to that.” — Astros owner Jim Crane

9 Likes

Mr. Crane, not backing down one iota. I love it.

3 Likes

Viva Crane.

1 Like
2 Likes

Looks like Pena has changed his swing. Kinda looks a bit like RH Uncle Mike.

5 Likes

Please Dear Lord, let this be true.

4 Likes

Any reporting on what motivated the change. In other words, what he, or coaches, identified as a weakness that needed addressing.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/houston-astros-jeremy-pena-batting-stance-18676249.php

(may be behind paywall) article goes into his simplifying stance (no toe tap, resting bat) and being quieter at plate. Was trying to address issues from last year, felt he made better decisions last year, but lost power and had decreased barrel rate.

1 Like

Thanks, but it was behind a paywall. So, in respect to “decisions,” are we talking about pitch selection? And this new stance is aimed at increasing power?

I’m not a close observer, or that knowledgeable, but I always thought he couldn’t identify spin well and we’d consequently see flailing too often at sliders off the plate or in the dirt. However, that observation may be flawed. If he improved on that last year, I didn’t really notice.

At any rate, hope it helps him. Any marginal improvement from him is a nice bonus.

Didn’t mention pitch recognition. Just that strike out rate decreased last year, but also barrel rate. And he bit fewer balls into the air. The quieter stance and decreased pre-swing bat movement is supposed to help make his swing more consistent and get more barrel on the ball.

The Athletic also has a similar article with same quotes from Espada.

What’s Abreu’s new hobby? Cattle ranching?

Pilates.

1 Like

Buying Franklin Mint Coins.

3 Likes

Unpaywalled here: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/houston-astros-jeremy-pena-batting-stance-18676249.php?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=copy-url-link&utm_campaign=article-share&hash=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaG91c3RvbmNocm9uaWNsZS5jb20vdGV4YXMtc3BvcnRzLW5hdGlvbi9hc3Ryb3MvYXJ0aWNsZS9ob3VzdG9uLWFzdHJvcy1qZXJlbXktcGVuYS1iYXR0aW5nLXN0YW5jZS0xODY3NjI0OS5waHA%3D&time=MTcwODQzNzk4ODg2NQ%3D%3D&rid=ZGQxMjViNjAtODM2Ni00MzY0LWE1ZTEtOTEwNzNkYTUxZGE2&sharecount=MQ%3D%3D

1 Like

I’m guessing it was the lack of contact using the old one.

3 Likes

Or at least lack of hard contact. He did strike out less.

1 Like

Judge in CF as an injury prevention measure? Bring it on.