Science & Engineering Shit

When you don’t believe in dinosaurs or gravity, Newtonian mechanics are irrelevant.

2 Likes

Of course his mechanics are irrelevant. Guy couldn’t throw a breaking ball to save his life.

1 Like

What a mess.

https://twitter.com/tazerface16/status/1649443447164776450

Lots of questions for SpaceX to answer which, disturbingly, include the decision-making around allowing release from the launch mount when engines were already failing and the extended delay in destroying the rocket long after it was clear the launch had failed.

Those issues smack heavily of an egomaniac wanting to make something work that wasn’t going to work.

I just assumed that idiot thought it would be funny to launch on 4/20. As a result the FAA is going to be way up their ass from now on.

1 Like

Bingo. So, when three engines were already out before it was released from the launch mount, it smacks of Elon’s decision-making to press ahead regardless because he wanted his big show on 4/20.

And, when it took them over a minute to detonate the failed launch, you can see Elon telling them to keep trying to get the 1st stage to separate, even though that ability had likely been lost very early in the flight.

Who will want to ride the rocket of a sociopath who will always choose his ego over your life?

It appears so.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 9.01.09 AM

Also, this seems bad.

1 Like

I guess we’ll learn whether Musk considers himself bigger/more powerful than the FAA.

He’s got bigger problems than that. SpaceX was awarded the contract to build the “Human Landing System” for the upcoming manned Moon landings. NASA is not going to risk its astronauts, missions and reputation on Musk if he cannot demonstrate reliability and responsibility.

1 Like

Moving on from Elon’s circus, there’s a moon landing happening now and apparently you can watch the attempt live.

1 Like

Here is the direct link. Time sensitive. 50 minutes from now is the expected lander entry.

2 Likes

First live shot from the iSpace lander:

1 Like

Welp, looks like this one crashed, too. In the relatively recent past landers from Israel and India have both failed, and now potentially this one. I guess landing on the moon is harder than you might have thought.

2 Likes

Were there any actual live shots? I saw some sort of simulation a bit ago, was that what was supposed to happen, in real time?

They don’t know that yet, do they?

ETA: Never mind, I was late tuning in. Just saw that it came out from behind the moon before landing, not vice versa. Not looking good.

From what I could tell the landing images were simulated. The craft did send some video of the moon as it was orbiting in preparation for the landing.

1 Like

Yeah. They don’t seem to be able to make contact with the lander.

NASA did this 50 years ago with the same amount of computing power that I used to write “80085” on my calculator. Unless and until there’s a manned mission to Mars, this will remain the greatest feat ever achieved by humans.

1 Like

They don’t know yet, no, not as far as I know. But I watched the attempted landing of the Indian craft and what I saw from this crew at mission control or whatever it is is exactly what I saw from the Indians. That is to say, the men and women working on the project seem resigned to the fact that the landing was not a success.

I want badly for these missions to succeed, by the way. Maybe not Elon’s, but everyone else’s, definitely.

1 Like

When that computer failed, it took the best pilot alive to land the Eagle.

1 Like

Somewhere, somehow, Chuck Yeager just flew into a blind rage.

2 Likes