Rule Changes for 2023

Thats not how they plan on getting shorter games. Thats the pitch clocks job. Banning the shift is to make the game more exciting

Strategy, bah! Who needs it.

Based on '22 data, Astros with 3 of the top 12 players who’ll benefit the most from restricting the shift–Yordan and Tucker obviously but also Bregman.

Since the shift came around, I haven’t heard people talk about infielder’s range as much. I will be interested to see who’s defensive value will be looked at as better because their range is more obvious?

4 Likes

This is nauseating to me. Yesterday’s 12-4 win was only marginally fun for me and when I looked it up afterwards, I understood why. 14 of the 16 runs in the game were scored on the HR. My least favorite type of baseball.

3 Likes

Too good not to share:

1 Like

That’s fantastic. I guessed 3 and i was very, very wrong

1 Like

Also, is there anything that can’t be meaured in Altuves? We’ve got space and time covered, what else is there?

James Karinchak gets tagged with an automatic ball after asking for a new baseball and taking too long to start his delivery. I don’t remember hearing about this being a problem in the minors but it makes sense to stick to the clock and not let it become a delay tactic.

Another aspect of this is that Karinchak is one of the most obvious users of sticky stuff in the league—his spin rate immediately plunged when they cracked down, then went back up as they eased off—and you can see how collecting it from his hair for the new ball took long enough to charge him with a delay.

Edit: okay, it sounds like the ump messed this up. The pitcher can ask for a new ball and reset the clock as long as there are at least eight seconds left. If the pitcher is just using it to delay (multiple requests, etc) the ump can tell him to get on the rubber and throw a pitch. But the video doesn’t show context for that.

Nothing significant.

When doing so, it can come up short.

1 Like

I don’t know about this call.

The nastiest strike in all of ST so far. Pitching Ninja should post it.

2 Likes

He forgot to yell out, “My body is ready” prior to the 8 seconds. Easy to mistake

1 Like

The “alert to the pitcher” is bullshit. If there’s a pitch clock, there’s a pitch clock. If the batter is in the box on time it’s not up to anybody to judge how “alert” he is. If he’s not alert, don’t step in the box.

That can’t be what they’re worried about.

Agree. If you’re in the box, you’re fair game. There is no reason for blue to have to try to make a determination here. Heck, the quick pitch has been a thing in baseball for 100 years, exploiting that very thing.

5 Likes

Scherzer is a fantastic pitcher, but he’s an enormous male “Karen”.

2 Likes