Rule Changes for 2023

I think the actual rule states inside the outer ring of the infield dirt. So infield grass is fine

Yep banning the shift is a horribly dumb thing to do

Requiring two guys on either side of 2B won’t make much difference, I think. Banning them from playing deep might be the more impactful change.

2 Likes

What makes it even worse, some players were really starting to adjust and take advantage. As particularly younger players learn to go the other way the game both corrects and becomes more interesting.

This is the worse rule change since they banned throwing at the runners.

3 Likes

All 4 player reps voted against the pitch clock and banning the shift

2 Likes

MLB hasnt even banned the shift. Thats how stupid this rule is. Teams now probably will just shift with outfielders instead of infielders and it also doesn’t preclude like the shortstop or third baseman covering the opposite infield and the other one sprinting into a run before the pitch and crossing the boundary as the pitch is released to get into the outfield to cover an opposite field fly ball. Im sure its going to limit shifts, but it wont eliminate it and if anything its going to potentially start crazier things like WR motion football plays while the pitch is being delivered or some other nonsense among more creative teams.

Hopefully that would be way to much of a drain on stamina to where we actually will see that come to pass, but Im not sure

Zero chance anybody is going to be sprinting to a spot very far from the starting spot on every pitch. You may get the SS moving over a few feet before the pitch reaches the plate but thats it

And no one is going to play with two outfielders except in very specific game-ending situations. This doesn’t “ban the shift” in the sense that a SS could still play very close to 2B and the 3Bman very far off the line (different from “traditional” positioning), but it really limits it, especially for LH hitters where you see an infielder well into the RF grass.

This is the biggest part. Yordan’s average will skyrocket with the number of balls to the current 2b/rover that will become singles.

1 Like

Extend Tucker.

4 Likes

bAn thE wAvE, NoT thE ShiFt!

5 Likes

Unbelievable. I’m all for trying new things to make the game more watchable, but the sheer complexity of these new rules tells me immediately that the cure will be worse than the disease.

Never thought I’d pine for Selig’s commissionership, but here we are. Rob “Throw Shit Against a Wall” Manfred obviously knows nothing about baseball OR watchability.

3 Likes

I was supposing that those timer rules were developed over the last few years in the minors, and they don’t ever seem to get in the way. I’m sure there’ll be some initial confusion—especially for the managers and coaching staffs and the long time mlb veterans—but before too long hopefully everything catches on.

I don’t mind encouraging faster play. I do mind telling them where to position themselves.

2 Likes

I like your optimism! I hope it works out.

And I have to agree with @Col.SphinxDrummond . Forcing defenders to stand in a certain place just seems oppressive, kind of like the NBA’s threat to force coaches to play their players.

And how’s it going to help watchability? Maybe they really wanted to coax Ryan Howard out of retirement? “C’mon man, all those ground balls to second will be base hits now!”

I’m curious how it will work out for the Stros. They shift more on LHB than anyone, but have 2 middle of the order LHB who are shifted on to the extreme.

I think the competetive advantage of the shift has leveled out.

In other words, the Astros and the Dodgers have the best records because they have the best teams.

If nobody shifts the best teams will still be the best teams.

FRM

4 Likes

I’m thinking less about the Astros specifically, and more about how the hell they get watchability and shorter games from banning the shift.

A lineup full of Ryan Howards hitting ground-ball singles into right isn’t exactly what I’d call exciting, nor does it make for a shorter game. It just sounds to me like they’re trying to throw a bone to baseball traditionalists in the stupidest way possible.

They’ve incentivized swinging for the fences and destigmatized strikeouts.

Put the fielders wherever you want.

They’ll just stand there either way.

1 Like