Rule Changes for 2023

Per the new CBA, 45 day window for MLB and the MLBPA to discuss rule changes for the following season. Union prez Tony Clark quoted as saying they are currently 5 days into that process. Even if no agreement during that period MLB can unilaterally impose changes.

Three items being discussed: pitch clock, limiting shifts, bigger bases.

Not under discussion: ABS.

There is also this:

MLB moving ahead with uniform ads for 2023 (yahoo.com)

Chico’s Bail Bonds are always good for an ad.

My favorite Little League sponsor when I was a kid was Dino’s Pizza because they threw us a party at the end of the year. I had little use for the local Goodyear tire store or appliance repair shop.

“Here kid, have this gift card. You’ll thank me later.”

To quote Ronnie Wood…I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger…

1 Like

There’s only one good option for the Astros’ patch. Enron or nothing.

Such a great song

Ronnie Lane.

1 Like

Wood and Lane are credited as co-writers. I’ve read that Wood wrote the lyrics, but don’t know for sure. Wood sang the lead, though. So…to quote the Ronnies…

“Hang in Charlie, I got a guy on the other line asking about some whitewalls”

• Lou Brown

How about that. I always thought it was Ronnie Lane singing on the original album version but it was Wood.

Fork handles

I guess I’d always thought Ronnie Lane was behind the song because Rod re-recorded the it and released it as a single with the stated purpose of throwing some money in the direction of Lane’s estate.

Also, Lane wrote (and sang) Debris, which aside from being one of my favorite songs anywhere, has some of the same themes, connection to older generations in particular.

Anyway, now that I’ve had time to reflect on my assumption that RL was the driving force, I might be mistaken.

I do own the vinyl album in question with its leering artwork.

Woody himself is behind some greatness, Mystifies Me is an outSTANding example, but Ronnie Lane was a monumental badass. In a perfect world he and Mac would have split off and formed a band and made 10 great records. Oh well.

I helped Ronnie Lane to his car once outside of Fitzgerald’s in about 1985.

Coupon will have expired. LOL :crazy_face:

I’ve read that Stewart was quite dismissive of the song oringinally, and didn’t want to sing it. Lane thought it was too high for his voice, so Wood sang it, and the rest of the band pretty much thought it’d be a joke. It turned out to be a very popular song for them, one that Stewart obviously embraced later.

Why they didn’t simply change the key to fit more into Lane’s range, I don’t know, but I understand that a lot of bands simply didn’t do that. I saw an interview with Mike Campbell talking about Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer”, for which Campbell wrote the music. Campbell said he had the tune all worked out, but the day of recording, Henley wanted to change the key, which Campbell had to scramble to do last minute. He mentioned that the Heartbreakers never thought to do that sort of thing…if someone wrote a song in say D, they recorded it in D, didn’t ask questions. Seems intuitive, but Campbell said it really caught him off guard at the time.

1 Like

I’ve read that RS wasn’t around much for the sessions, which is surely one reason I like the record as much as I do. I love his first three or four solo records, Never a Dull Moment is a particular favorite, but for some reason I usually prefer the Faces when someone else is at the mic.

My favorites are: (Rod) Every Picture Tells a Story and (Faces) A Nod is as Good as a Wink… To a Blind Horse. Regarding that Faces album, I think I probably favor Lane most on You’re So Rude but Debris is the greater song.

The Small Faces were great too.

1 Like
  • Pitchers will have 20 seconds to start their throwing motion with runners on base, 15 seconds with the bases empty
  • The catcher must be in the catcher’s box with nine seconds left on the timer
  • The hitter must have both feet set in the batter’s box and be “alert to the pitcher” — meaning he has his eyes on the pitcher, and can quickly take a hitting stance — within eight seconds
  • The timer starts when the pitcher has the ball, and the catcher and the batter are in the dirt near home plate and play is ready — meaning, runners have retreated if there was a foul ball, or exited the field after an out
  • In between batters, there is a 30-second clock, except for the final out of an inning
  • The timer for inning breaks and pitching changes is 2 minutes, 15 seconds
  • Pitchers who violate the clock are charged with an automatic ball
  • If a catcher violates the clock, an automatic ball is charged as well
  • Batters in violation receive an automatic strike
  • Umpires can also award a ball or strike if they detect a player circumventing the clocks, and the commissioner’s office could issue discipline beyond that to teams whose players or staff violate rules, as well
  • Pitchers can step off the mound for a pickoff or any other reasons — a “disengagement” it’s called — twice per plate appearance if there is a runner on base. But, if a runner advances during the same plate appearance, i.e., by stealing a base, the pitcher gets another two step-offs. Stepping off resets the clock to its full time (20 or 15 seconds depending on whether a runner is on)
  • If a pitcher steps off a third time or more, the penalty depends on what happens. If the runners are safe, the pitchers are charged with a balk. If an out is recorded, like on a successful pickoff, no balk is charged. No balk is charged if a runner advances, either
  • If the defense requests time, a disengagement is assessed to the pitcher, with several exceptions, including mound meetings, an object on the field, injuries, or an appeal. Catchers giving signals to infielders doesn’t count as a disengagement as long as the catcher is back by nine seconds.
  • Pitcher requests for a new baseball with nine seconds or more remaining on the pitch timer do not count as a disengagement, but do if there are less than nine seconds
  • Mound visits have a 30-second clock starting when the manager or coach leaves the dugout, or whenever the defensive player leaves their position. If a manager joined a mound visit in progress, the timer resets if there are at least 20 seconds left on the timer. The umpire has discretion to grant additional time if a manager or coach is dealing with a physical ailment. There is no timer if a trainer goes out with the manager or coach for “a bona fide medical issue"
  • Teams can newly get an additional mound visit in the ninth inning only (it is not carried over if unused to extra innings) if it has used up its allotment of mound visits previously
  • Batters can ask for and be granted time once per plate appearance, and have to ask for time orally. That resets the pitch clock.
  • A batter who requests time a second time or more in the same plate appearance is to be charged with a strike — unless the batter stays in the batter’s box, then the umpire has discretion as to whether to charge a strike
  • The length of batter walk-up music cannot exceed 10 seconds. Music between pitches is to be limited so hitters aren’t encouraged to leave the box.
  • “Extended inning events,” like the playing of “God Bless America,” or anything that stops all action in the ballpark, requires approval from the commissioner’s office, and advance notice of those approved events has to go to the MLBPA
  • The pitch timer cannot be reviewed on replay
  • Umpires have sole discretion to direct the start, stop or reset of the timer if the clock operator makes a mistake or a special circumstance applies, such as a catcher not having enough time to put on equipment after running the bases or a medical concern. (They would reset the clock to 20 or 15 seconds)
  • When the pitcher releases the ball, a minimum of four players (besides the pitcher and catcher) must have both feet completely in front of the outer boundary of the dirt, and two fielders have to be entirely on either side of second base
  • Every team has to designate two infielders on each side of second base who may not switch sides during the game, except if there’s a substitution for one of those infielders
  • The penalty for a violation is a ball and the ball is dead — unless a hitter reaches on a hit, an error, a walk, or hit batsmen or otherwise, in which case the play stands. If any other play occurs, like a sacrifice fly, or a sacrifice bunt, the manager of the hitting team can tell the umpire whether he wants to accept the play
  • Umpires have discretion to penalize the fielding team with a ball if the umpire detects players attempting to circumvent the rules
  • Teams can challenge whether a team complied with the shift
  • The bases will now be 18 inches square, rather than the present 15 inches.