Reds at Astros, 6/18/23

Walk and two singles, but Blanco manages to give up just the one

3-2 Astros.

Anybody know if the giant grills on new trucks actually serve a purpose or is it all styling?

Diaz reaches on a TE5

Peña is determined to make contact with a rolling pitch.

1 Like

If you mean a grill for cooking, they serve a purpose. If you mean the standard radiator grill, they’re just there to protect the radiator. Making them bigger and fancier is just styling.

On a side note…I already grilled some fresh corn and fresh jumbo Gulf shrimp. Delicious. Chicken kabobs later.

1 Like

Julks draws another walk, his third in two days

Two on, two out for. Maldonado

That’s what I suspected.

They all have raised/squared off the corners on the hood and added those gaping maw type grills.

Meanwhile from the drivers seat its like looking out over a pool table.

1 Like

Plus they’re all made of plastic, so the body shops get some extra work too.

Grill guards are not just for show.

eta: they just don’t make truck bodies like they used to, I’ve got a '12 gas F250 longbed for smaller hauling, pallets and bags and such, and you can breathe on that aluminum body and put a dent in it. But it’s a few hundred lbs lighter!

Brush guards serve a purpose, basically added protection. But the point of all of that is simply to protect your radiator from getting crushed in.

1 Like

While we’re at it the front-up/butt-down look on pickups is proof that people will spend money on anything.

Example?

We saw the aftermath of an accident a few weeks ago.

Cloverleaf onto an access road in wet conditions.

Lady drove her crossover SUV into the back of a 15 foot landscape trailer.

Her crumple zone crumpled back to the wheel wells.

We watched the wrecker load it onto his flatbed.

The dude with the trailer drove away with no visible damage.

Yes! You absolutely have to know your truck to pull up close to anything. There’s about a 3’ blind spot from the top edge of my hood to where the actual front is.

“Crossover SUV” = hatchback.

2 Likes

Oh, I was asking what a “front up, butt down look” is. Never heard that term.

eta: WTF IS THAT? We don’t see those around here.

If you’re kind enough to invite me over, I’ll be kind enough to bring some wine.

That’s because I just made it up.

An abomination.