Rangers @ Astros, April13, 2024

Diaz walks to load the bases for Peña…

Find a pitch to hit and do damage, Jeremy!

Peña pops to shallow RF

Up to…checks notes…Singleton again

Come on Jon, be Homerton.

And there goes the air from the balloon.

I would settle for Walkton

Singleton takes strike one, ball, takes strike two, ball, ball…full count…foul…takes strike three

Astros leave the bases loaded…again

2-0 Rangers

Just comical

I appreciate your optimism, but we all knew how that would end.

It is also amazing how many RBI opportunities are finding he and Jose Abreu.

1 Like

It just boggles the mind that Singleton is on this roster.

5 Likes

Singleton has left six runners on base. In the first three innings.

It boggles the mind he made the team out of the Spring Training, and it especially boggles the mind that Dana Brown and Jim Crane are sitting on their hands when they are getting nothing from the 1B position.

It’s inexcusable to go over the tax to sign Hader and let your first base position be a black hole offensively.

2 Likes

I loved Bagwell laying out the mindset for Peña’s at bat, including what you don’t want to do, which was exactly what Peña did.

And they should bat Singleton at leadoff and concede the out.

No shock. He is the equivalent of having most pitchers bat before the universal DH. I’d pitch around guys to get to him in big spots, too.

In Peña’s defense, he knows who’s hitting behind him. He knows that if he doesn’t drive runs in, they won’t be.

That’s a bad side effect of Singleton playing. It encourages the guys in front of him (Diaz and Peña) to expand the zone because they don’t want to leave it up to him. Creating bad habits.

1 Like

Yes he just fell into the pitcher’s trap.

And they’re not exactly selective in the first place.

1 Like

It’s a real indictment of Brown that he left the first base situation as it is. His hands are tied to a degree with Abreu since that’s a mess he inherited and I can’t imagine Crane’s pride is going to make him too eager to let Abreu go no matter how bad he is, but not foreseeing Abreu’s being terrible and having a contingency plan is inexcusable.

His betting all his chips on Hader wasn’t too great, either, if we want to talk about the bullpen. And, obviously, not getting any starting pitching was a terrible mistake, too. I wonder how much of all this is Crane. I was pretty sure that his letting Click go was an ominous sign but I didn’t foresee the team’s descent into worst five teams in the league status.

2 Likes

And I don’t know what you do with Abreu. He’s has to be darn near untradeable. Who would want him? That a lot of cash to eat if you DFA him. The Astros are stuck with him.