Other Sports

Halladay was stoned out of his mind. There was probably a lot he didn’t process correctly that day.

2 Likes

Yep.

Yeah, I was going to say exactly that.

JFK Jr was not instrument rated. The time of day/conditions/location were tough but the FAA had not declared instruments only.

Essentially the horizon is lost, your brain can’t tell up from down, and worse it tells you your instruments must be wrong.

My pilot buddy tells me it is a sad, common cause of crashes.

Spatial disorientation.

2 Likes

You have to ignore your senses and trust your instruments. It’s incredibly hard, and the concentration required is absolute.

I did some simulated IFR using a hood - basically a cap with a giant bill that blocks your view of the outside - and you can hear your pulse.

Maybe it gets easier with practice, but the best tactic is to run and hide. Get below the weather if you can, or run away and get on the ground.

Chelsea continues their suckage, dropping the first leg of their semifinal tie against Middlesbrough in the Carabao Cup (and this after Boro lost two players to injury in the first 20 minutes). Chelsea will probably still go through, but this is still pretty entertaining.

1 Like

Gunther Steiner booted by Haas.

Nope. Me neither.

Best German name I’ve heard in awhile

1 Like

Too bad but inevitable I guess.

He was a likable figure on Drive to Survive.

(funny how the bottom of the grid teams are 1 billion times more relatable than the top dogs)

He left the team “with immediate effect”, which probably means that the famously potty-mouthed Gunther called the owner a cocksucker.

Will be interesting to see if the new guy can change the team’s fortunes. They have seemed on the cusp of climbing out of the toilet the last couple of seasons, only to fall right back in.

ESPN could do a lot worse than hire Steiner as a color commentator, along with a quick-fingered intern to man the bleeper.

1 Like

“Oh, Crash.”

(Also, Crash would be an awful name for a driver)

…but a good name for a catcher.

The Gunther news is not surprising. It will be interesting to see if the team can put together a better effort this year. It always looks like they have a chance to move solidly into the midfield, and then they fail to deliver. Hülkenberg’s comments this past offseason were spot on.

1 Like

Fulham played well but Liverpool is Liverpool. Still 2-1 down going into the second leg at home is about as good as I could have asked for

1 Like

Live footage from the Patriots head office today.

death-palpatine

4 Likes

My son texted me to say today he learned he was born on the same day Bill Belichick was hired by the Pats. My son will be 24 in 16 days.

3 Likes

When I saw this picture from Butch Jones’ tweet, my first thought was that Belichick was a Red Uniform guy from Star Trek about to get blasted on some planet.

Good advice, don’t be the guy wearing a red uniform in Star Trek.

1 Like