Other Sports

We’re not quite in “Willie Mays with the Mets” territory yet, but it’s within shouting distance.

2 Likes

Closer than some of today’s putts.

2 Likes

I know it’s tradition - and I’d love to play the Old Course for that reason - but it’s a fucking bullshit golf course. Landing in the middle of the fairway and then rolling all the way to Greenland is the stuff of a $10 muni track that you’d never go back to.

In a similar vein, I once got to try Glenlivet’s “traditional” whisky, i.e. one made with the same recipe and in the same style as the whiskies of old. It was rough as old boots. If you were ever served that without knowing what it was, you’d go full Karen on the manager.

The purpose of the pot bunkers and gorse bushes is to stop the ball before it gets to Greenland.

1 Like

I had a mineralogy professor who was St. Andrew’s, and he would get absolutely livid when people talked about the “fairway”. “There is the tee and the green! That’s it!!!. There is no such thing as a ‘fairway’, you just fucking deal with where the ball lands!”

Eighteen fucking times!

1 Like

Oh fuck, that’s what we’ll call it! A stroke!

Are we done with the Tiger gobblefest now? Fuck me! They just spent 30 mins showing a guy not making the cut watching his playing partner putt out.

ETA: Jesus, fuck, no! They’re now showing replays of the guy not making the cut walking around.

Now, I’m not an early-round coverage kind of guy but I think the attempted comeback in a major of one of the most important golfers of the last 3 decades is something that ought to be covered.

1 Like

Tiger is the only reason I pay attention to golf. We likely will never see another golfer any time soon accomplish what he has in his career.

I’m just glad he didn’t make the cut. That way, they can get it out of the way on Friday. If he’d limped into the weekend, like he did at Augusta, he sucks up all the coverage over the weekend.

FWIW, my issue isn’t with Tiger, it’s the media’s wall-to-wall gorvelfest whenever he’s around.

2 Likes

Well said.

He’s the most important golfer in the last 40 years.

He’s on the Mount Rushmore of athletes, worldwide, in that same span.

I get the interest. I’m interested too.

But media coverage is the equivalent of being served a supersized big mac combo meal with a buy one get one free large pan pizza and a gallon of rocky road. Oh and here’s a big gulp to wash it down.

2 Likes

Golf is my favorite sport to nap to.

Isn’t golf on tv just shots of guys walking around anyway?

No. It’s mostly sky.

1 Like

Let’s not get crazy here.

For the last 25 years?

It’s Tiger, Serena, Messi, and LeBron.

1 Like

Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, and Wlad Klitschko are ready to kick Tiger’s ass. Not to mention Tom Brady. Tiger’s not even on the Mt. Rushmore of the U.S. Well, maybe the Mt. Rushmore Sponsored by Nike one.

I’d wager that 2 of the 4 folks you mentioned would disagree with you.

Maybe we could expand Mt. Rushmore to include not only Trump, but also Tiger.