Other Sports

That was brutal.

The English FA has a looooong track record of making the safe choice when selecting managers, which is why we’re going on [checks notes] 58 years of hurt.

The one major trophy win was under Sir Alf Ramsey who caused huge controversy by abandoning the then standard 2-3-5 formation in favor of what became known as his “wingless wonders”. He also left his best goal scorer on the bench in the 1966 World Cup final (which he won).

The FA fired him with glee when he lost to West Germany in the Euro 1972 quarter final. And that’s all she wrote. A parade of Southgates has followed, who moms love but have nowhere near the ability to manage the riches of talent that has been wasted over nearly 60 years.

There are aliens on planets as yet undiscovered who could see that Alexander-Arnold - playing out of position with about a billion pounds of midfield talent warming the bench - was a significant net negative and Foden was doing his usual disappearing act when not in a Man City shirt.

Gallagher for TAA was…ok. The safe choice. Bowen for Sako was too late but nearly paid off instantly. But bringing on Mainoo? WTF? And Foden left on to the end (and nailed-on to start Thursday) with the likes of Palmer and Watkins on the bench.

Serbia was always going to set up in the low block. When England’s formation had achieved nothing but scoring a semi-fortunate goal and surviving numerous attempts at self-immolation, the need for a ball-carrier was screamingly obvious. I’m biased, but Eze would’ve collected the ball and driven at the heart of Serbia’s defense.

Ankles are already pre-grabbed for the next game against the much better Danes.

1 Like

Perspective. Alf Ramsey’s England were comfortably good enough to repeat in 1970. Here, in the group stage, they absolutely put the screws to Brazil - who were in their full Pelé-inspired pomp - in a bizarre game that was lost 0-1 but could’ve easily been won by 2, 3 or more goals.

This England squad has that level of talent, and it’s being squandered.

For more perspective, 1970 is the year that Brazil humiliated Italy in the final.

At least I’m not Scottish.

Ukraine is getting battered by Romania.

That was one thing that stood out to me, seemed a classic case of over thinking or trying to look smart. Like you said, England has loads of talent, most their bench is an automatic starter for almost every team in the EUROs. But Southgate decides to start a guy out of position?

1 Like

It sounds stupid when you say it out loud…because it is. Worse, against a team who were guarandamnfuckingteed to defend with 11 players in the low block, Southgate decided that what he needed in midfield was a defender who can pass pretty well. If you want a good passer in midfield, play the human pivot Adam Wharton. At least he can tackle!

Even more stupid, once Serbia realized that the England midfield was a fucking mess, they changed tactics and had England on the ropes for the rest of the game. Southgate just sat there staring blankly at the pitch while it played out, with no clue how to fix it. Even when TAA laid on their best chance by passing to Mitrović in our penalty area, Southgate was stuck to his Plan A like a fly to flypaper.

Belgium, post-golden generation, is down early 0-1 to Slovakia.

One of the tightest offside calls denies Belgium and then a fantastic goaline clearance denies Belgium again. Somehow still 1-0

2 Likes

Defender was in perfect position to cover for the goalie on another shot

1 Like

Lukaku - after missing his customary shitload of chances - has finally got Belgium back on level terms in the 87th minute.

1 Like

Pretty goal all the way around.

But wait…VAR checking a handball which looks like a handball.

No goal…and Slovaks blow the roof off the stadium with the cheer.

That’s a handball. Didn’t look intentional but looks don’t matter.

1 Like

Good for Slovakia, I enjoyed my visit there.

This is one of the uses of VAR with which I agree. I also like that they don’t allow for “intent” in the decision. If it hits a player’s hand in the build up to a goal, it’s ruled out, period.

My opinion has nothing to do with this:

3 Likes

That was a fun match. Good for Slovakia

1 Like

“Cmon, it’s Slovakia! We’re in, we’re out… it’s Slovakia!”

2 Likes

Skillz

https://www.threads.net/@rwbav/post/C8Ugt9LN3S_

I guess I’d never noticed that Georgia is a UEFA member.

2 Likes