On Blanco's No No

105 pitches, 73 strikes. If he doesn’t get squeezed a bit and if Abreu doesn’t drop the double play turn in the 1st, Blanco finishes that complete-game no-hitter in 90-95 pitches. No runner reached second base. Just remarkable efficiency in this day and age. I’m not sure the last time I’ve seen such a clean, dominant performance. It’s been a while.

3 Likes

It was a beautifully pitched game. When you throw strikes, and not over the heart of the plate, good things happen.

The only 2 “oh shits” were the ball he deflected to Dubon and the Abreu play.

1 Like

The change up was filthy. I love seeing it used as a strike out pitch.

He was clearly overthrowing in the 9th. Diaz did a nice job of handling a high pressure situation with him.

5 Likes

Diaz impressed the hell out of me.

5 Likes

Agreed. I’m sure the adrenaline was pumping there at the end, and Diaz did exactly what a veteran catcher does there. Plus he and Blanco seemed to be in synch all night. Blanco worked quickly, was efficient, and had a plan. Diaz certainly did his part to perfection.

2 Likes

Just went back and watched the compilation of all 27 outs on YouTube. Generously, the Jays got what, three or maybe four good swings on him? Ridiculous dominance in the biggest week of his life: new baby, made the team, made the rotation, threw a gotdanged no-hitter.

I can’t get over this happening as a result of Brown taking one look at him in relief in spring 2023 and saying “this guy should be starting.”

1 Like

Game time 2:01

Considering the good guys scored 10 runs that’s another amazing aspect of that gem.

4 Likes

I’ll add one more tidbit…I’m pretty sure Espada becomes the first manager in history to get his first career win courtesy of a no-hitter.

3 Likes

It is certainly a creative way to overcome poor middle relief.

6 Likes

My new rule book question. Had he not walked Springer twice, would the one pitch clock violation count against a perfect game?

1 Like

A pitch clock violation by the pitcher results in an automatic ball. So if that is ball four, it’s a base on balls, same as any other. Which would end a perfect game.

2 Likes

I’m sure that will be a trivia question one day.

1 Like

Now that’s a great question and answer

Since 2022 the Astros pitchers have had 4 no-hitters, the other 29 teams combined have 3 no-hitters.

5 Likes

That is a fantastic FACT!

1 Like

It’s almost like the Astros are good at developing pitchers.

1 Like

The Astros 17 no hitters in the expansion era are the most for any franchise. Dodgers (unfortunately) and the Angels are tied for second with 13 apiece.

3 Likes

And a WS no hitter.

2 Likes

It’s a cheat code, which means they’re cheating!

3 Likes

Wait, is that what gave rise to the recent pearl clutching?