New Manager Search

I recall some fairly public physical altercations with players in the past. Those may have had more to do with the players than with Gibbons, though.

No shit. Not ā€œBannyā€. I lived in the Metroplex when he was managing Arlington and this would be the turd on the cake.

What kind of minority is Gibbons? I donā€™t get it.

Ignore me. Iā€™m an idiot.

Canadian?

Beltran as the player-manager would seem to be the logical choice. Heā€™s a great clubhouse guy.

1 Like

Not Showalter. Please.

1 Like

Iā€™m not big on Showalter either. Hoping for Dusty or Gibby based on the names weā€™ve heard. I could live with either one of those.

Dusty said heā€™s not interested.

Players seem to really like him.

Was surprised to see Bochyā€™s name, but I think the below is why heā€™s been linked to the list of potential managers.

Iā€™d like to see it happen but skeptical that itā€™s more than intrigue.

From Chandler Rome:

Former Giants manager Bruce Bochy, the three-time World Series winner who retired after last season, told USA Today on Tuesday he was intrigued by the opening but ā€œstill plans on hitting the pause buttonā€ in 2020.

If Crane could somehow convince Bochy to come out of retirement, heā€™s a no brainer. Otherwise, I vote for giving Espada his chance, as long as Crane is fine with him remaining with the organization. Heā€™s been a bench coach for a long time, and I figure he learned something from Hinch the past two seasons. Plus, he already has relationships established in the clubhouse.

1 Like

Every Astros fan and pitcher rejoices.

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s just me, but ā€œplans to hit the pause buttonā€ sounds a lot like ā€œwhat kind of money are we talking about here?ā€

2 Likes

Agree- ā€œPauseā€ and ā€œRetiredā€ are not synonymous with each other.

ā€œControversy with playersā€ has its own section on Gibbonsā€™ Wikipedia page.

1 Like

I wonā€™t link to it because itā€™s so stupid, but The Athletic has an article (possibly ghost written by his agent) promoting Showalter for manager because heā€™s an asshole with a chip on his shoulder, and thatā€™s what the team needs right now.

Iā€™m fine with a chip on his shoulder kind of guy, particularly for the short term, but maybe get someone whoā€™s gotten past the ALCS before. Itā€™d be a damn shame to get out-managed by Dave Roberts.

Showalter is an asshole. No.

2 Likes

How about Scioscia. He knows the division, won a world series. Seems a bit tired. Although I doubt there would be anyone we liked more than AJ.

aj may have been a once in a life time fit. wonder what will happen with the bases loaded featuring him and the fact he was always willing to speak and work with the media