My dog

I have no feelings of betrayal or guilt. I know he needed escape from his struggle to live. I gave him my final gift of love; I did not betray him in his ultimate time of need. Keeping him alive knowing he had little to no quality of life would have been selfish betrayal and cruel. My hurt and my emotions are because he and his love are gone from my life and because I miss him.

14 Likes

I just watched my in-laws do this with their dog for nearly a full year until she finally passed recently (no thanks to them). It was awful, and infuriating.

Your choice wasnā€™t easy, but it was loving, honorable, and compassionate to the very end. You were a good human for a good boy. Iā€™m sorry for your loss.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear Jim. Condolences your way. Iā€™ve been there beforeā€¦and will be again. Our current dog is some kind of special. Smartest dog Iā€™ve ever seen. Has a huge ā€œvocabularyā€ and the best personality Iā€™ve ever seen in a pooch. Iā€™m dreading the day already.

Again, my dearest sympathies to you.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry Jim. Bowie was a great companion and will always be. I know how devastating it is, I will be facing that decision with Phoebe sooner than I want to.

1 Like

I was pretty fucked up Thursday and Friday, but I am better today.

6 Likes

Sorry, Jim. Hugs to you. We had to do the same with our Murphy girl back in January. It was rough. Hang in there.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this, Jim. The loss of a constant, consistent companion is tough. Your love for him was evident, even at the last, most difficult moment. When he needed it most.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this, Jim. Iā€™ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

Jim, Iā€™m so incredibly sorry to read about your boy, Bowie.
I had to put my 10.5 yr old Golden down suddenly in 2017 and being with her at her end was incredibly painful yet reassuring as I didnā€™t want her to be alone. I can tell you gave your dog a superb life and rest assured he knew he was a lucky dog.
I just got another Golden back in January and when I was holding her as a tiny pup, I asked myself if I could be a dog owner yet again seeing as how I know how it ends. The answer was yes and hopefully in time youā€™ll get another dog as well.

Hang in there, stay well and cherish the life and memories you and Bowie were fortunate to have had.

All dogs go to Heaven.
Because they deserve to.

4 Likes

Thank you, John.

Getting Bowieā€™s ashes today and will spread them in ā€œhisā€ spots around my house. No urn on the mantel for me.

I have been perusing rescue org sites for a few breeds I like. I will have only rescues from here on. Mark and a few friends say Bowie wants me to have another dog soon so I will not be sad. That sentiment is both sweet and likely true. I definitely want a dog in my life.

ETA: done

4 Likes

Met a dog today I will adopt.

Kaiser, welcome to the Raup family.

19 Likes

What kind of dog is Kaiser? Size? Breed?

Heā€™s going to be king of the family, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

3 yr old rescue mostly Dachshund mix. Was one of 34 rescued from a dog hoarder. He is a bit fearful and skittish but warmed up to me toward the end of my hour-long visit.

15-20 lbs. not sure exactly

8 Likes

Thatā€™s fantastic, Jim!
Your former dog can never be replaced, but a new one can still wiggle its way into your life/heart.
Iā€™m learning this myself right now.

Best of luck with the new pooch!

1 Like

Thanks, John.

How wonderful for you, Jim.

Our rescue, Jack, was also from a hoarder.

They say heā€™s 5, a terrier mix with obvious Jack Russell in him.

He too was very shy during our visit

Within days he became the sweetest loving dog and now we canā€™t imagine the family without him.

He was so good for my wife, who was crushed when we had to put our rescue K.C. down after 12 years.

I hope this new guy is just as good for you. I already know how good you will be for him.

Second that!

Wonderful learning about rescue animals being redeemed, being given a 2nd chance at life and being able to give and receive love. A long life for Kaiser & you, Jim.

Thanks so much for your kind words.

1 Like

On a side note, thank you, Jim, for reaching out to me and keeping me form quitting this site.

After a very rough first day experience you emailed and encouraged me to give it another try.

I now feel like part of this family.

I am grateful.

6 Likes